Story points for issue in sprint not added to sprint velocity when issue closed. Why?

Deleted user March 8, 2015

Had an issue in a sprint that:

• was initially un-estimated as far as story points were concerned.
  • was given an estimate during the sprint (allocated a 3).
  • was subsequently closed near the end of the sprint.
  • was attributed to a version after closure (i.e. the fix version wasn't set initially either).

The problem is that the 3 points aren't being added to the sprint velocity for number of points completed in the sprint. Ideas why?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2015

JIRA Agile says so when you start the sprint - if there is an unestimated issue when you start the sprint, any estimates on this issue later on will not be added. 

In order to include it in the total number of points for the sprint, you would have to remove the issue from the sprint and then add it again. 

I assume the reason behind this is to provide a decent metric on scope change, e.g. scope creep.  

Deleted user March 10, 2015

thanks for the info - helps a lot. Yes, trying to make our metrics real and meaningful.

Deleted user March 10, 2015

Can I do the remove and add to the sprint after the sprint has been closed?

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2015

I believe the answer can be found here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/141766 :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events