Story points for issue in sprint not added to sprint velocity when issue closed. Why?

Had an issue in a sprint that:

• was initially un-estimated as far as story points were concerned.
  • was given an estimate during the sprint (allocated a 3).
  • was subsequently closed near the end of the sprint.
  • was attributed to a version after closure (i.e. the fix version wasn't set initially either).

The problem is that the 3 points aren't being added to the sprint velocity for number of points completed in the sprint. Ideas why?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

JIRA Agile says so when you start the sprint - if there is an unestimated issue when you start the sprint, any estimates on this issue later on will not be added. 

In order to include it in the total number of points for the sprint, you would have to remove the issue from the sprint and then add it again. 

I assume the reason behind this is to provide a decent metric on scope change, e.g. scope creep.  

thanks for the info - helps a lot. Yes, trying to make our metrics real and meaningful.

Can I do the remove and add to the sprint after the sprint has been closed?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

4,443 views 20 13
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you