Story Points Actual vs Estimate in Retrospective

Ohad Perry August 29, 2022

I'm aware that story points are not the same as days. 

let's say for the sake of this discussion that they are.

I want to get a list of all the tickets in a sprint that were spent in certain columns (In Progress + Testing)

I've installed the Status time plugin. 

But I don't see a way to filter all the "bad" ticket that need retro.

thanks in advancedimage (25).png

2 answers

0 votes
Dan -minware-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2022

Disclaimer: I am a marketplace partner (marketplace listing)

Hi @Ohad Perry -

Ticket velocity is a great way to identify underlying issues. I think you are definitely on the right track and I would recommend adding a second metric to enhance the insight:

1. comparing your estimate to the actual time spent on the task (velocity)

2. comparing time spent on the task to calendar days (efficiency)

If you look at both of these metrics you can rank your tickets by low velocity using the result of the first and the 2nd metric helps indicate context switching (vs. other underlying issues like process problems, tech debt, poor design requirements, etc) as a way to prioritize what to talk about during the sprint retrospective:

sp_estimates.png

We do this automatically in minware as you can see above (metrics are the 0.77 in red and 76% in green) but I am happy to field any additional questions if you want to take a crack at doing it manually.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2022

Hi @Ohad Perry 

What are you going to do with those issue where story points is greater than time in status? Story points or original estimates are fields to capture complexity or effort whereas time in status would tell you if there are certain issues that are blocked.

Ravi

Ohad Perry August 29, 2022

thanks ravi. I wrote in the discussion:

"I'm aware that story points are not the same as days. 

let's say for the sake of this discussion that they are."

we are using in story point estimates as days estimate for a lack of a better field

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events