Story Point Summation - Child to Parent

Jay R March 19, 2023

I've read countless articles on this and outside of summing Story Points of Sub-tasks, I cannot get this to work for Tasks.

Does anyone have code that sums Story Points from a Task to it's parent Story?  or just code that sums Story Points from children to its Parent?

These do not work:

• {"fields": {"Story Points": {{#=}} {{#subtasks}} {{Story Points}} + {{/}} 0 {{/}} }}
  • {{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}
  • {{issues.tasks.Story Points.sum}}

I've tried various combinations of actions and triggers. Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 7.21.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 7.13.56 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Hello @Jay R 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The native parent/child issue hierarchy in Jira is

Epic
|-- base issue types: Story, Task, Bug, etc.
|-- subtask issue types

Jira does not recognize that there is a parent/child relationship between a Task and a Story when you have used the generic issue linking function to artificially create that relationship by using names in the link that say "parent of/child of".

I am surmising that you have used the generic issue linking functionality because in your automation rule you have this Condition:

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 4.57.42 PM.png

Can you provide a screen image that shows the details of one of your "parent" Stories that has "child" Tasks so I can confirm this is the case?

If you have used generic issue linking to create that parent/child relationship, then use of the "For Parent" branch in the automation rule will not work because Jira does not see the generic link as a parent/child relationship.

Assuming you are using generic issue linking...

Does a Task have that link with one and only one Story?

Here is a rule for summing up story points through a generic link relationship. In my case the link relationship is Story "has bug" Bug. Stated in the reverse that would be Bug "is child bug of" Story , which is similar to your generic parent/child link.

This rule is triggered when the Story Points on the child Bug is changed.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 5.21.38 PM.png

You might also want rules that recalculate the story point sum if a Task is newly linked to a Story, and if a link between a Task and Story is removed.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2023

Hello @Jay R 

Did my answer above solve your problem?

Brendan Bice June 1, 2023

Stumbled upon this forum looking for a similar answer. I used a similar automation rule as @Jay R and tried to test to see if the story points roll up. @Trudy Claspill here's a screen image of some test tasks and a test story while working on this. Also added a sub-task to try to replicate the same automation for that issue type.
4a2a9942-8614-42ab-acb5-e7e9947a80f4.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2023

@Brendan Bice 

Is your goal to take story points from both the linked issues and the subtasks and sum those to create a story point value for the "parent" issue?

Can the linked issues under "is parent task of" have more than one "parent" link?

Are you working with issues in a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

Like Brendan Bice likes this
Brendan Bice June 1, 2023

Thanks for the warm welcome! These issues are on a company managed project. My primary goal is to take story points from the linked issues-- I'm using the Task issue type and linking it to a parent story-- and was trying to sum each task up for a total for the Parent story. I took a swing at trying it with subtasks as well, but getting the roll up from that issue type isn't my highest priority as our team primarily uses the Task issue type

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2023

In my reply to the OP I included an example rule that sums up story points from linked issues to another issue. That should meet your requirement. Have you tried that?

Like Brendan Bice likes this
Till Anne
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2023

@Trudy Claspill  There is not a Lookup Issues action available so haven't figured out how to work with the suggested solution; there doesn't seem to be a way to implement it.  I have a generic parent of/child of (not epic or subtask).  Need to be able to update the parent Story Points (add/delete points) when:  (a) story points changes for a child, (b) a new issue is linked, or (c) an issue link is removed.  

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2023

Hello @Till Anne 

Are you working with Jira Cloud, Jira Server, or Jira Data Center?

The Lookup Issues action is available in Jira Cloud, and in Jira Data Center 9.11.0 with A4J 9.0.1.

If you are not using one of those, please open a new Question in this community providing the information about your environment so that your question will get more visibility in the community and more people might suggest solutions. Adding to an existing question notifies only the watchers, responders, and the original author of that Question about your post.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events