Stories, tasks etc won't show in Board after a Board edit - but are counted when editing board

Massimiliano Bariola January 9, 2023

I have modified the current project board to adapt it better to our needs, deleting some statues and creating new ones, to move to a Scrumban flow.

In doing so, Jira warned me that stories/tasks/issues etc orphaned of a Status will be assigned the BACKLOG status. which is fine by me.

I created new columns, and associated them to the relevant statuses i.e. ready to test, in test, urgencies ....

Then I started associating the tickets we're working on to the new statues expecting them to show up in the board. They do not. the columns remain empty.
However, when I edit the board, I can see that they are correctly counted in the relevant statues, i.e. "ready to test" shows the real number of issues of any kind with that status.

1) If I try to directly create an issue in the backlog column, by using the "create issue" at the bottom,
- then they are displayed in the board and I can move them around and interact with them as expected.
- I see them in the "issues" page, with the status corresponding to the column I move them to.

BUT

2) If I create a new issue in the issues page,
- they are created with BACKLOG status, BUT are not displayed on the board.
- if I manually set them to a different status associated with another column, e.g. IN DEV, they will not be displayed on the board, BUT they will be counted against their assigned status when I am in the configure board page

So my desired outcome would be:
a) When I add an issue to the Issues page, I see it displayed on the board too - THIS DOES NOT WORK
b) When I add an issue to the backlog column, I see it in the Issues page too - THIS WORKS 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2023

Hello @Massimiliano Bariola 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I have a few clarifying questions about your situation.

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? At the bottom of navigation bar on the left it will say which it is.

Are you working with a Service project, a Software project, or a Business/Work Management project? It will say which at the top of the navigation pane below the project name.

You said you are working in "Scrumban". Are you using a Kanban board or a Scrum board? Do you have a "Backlog" option shown in the navigation pane on the left?

Can you provide a screen image that shows your board and the navigation pane? Obscure confidential details in issues.

Can you show what you see when you edit the board?

Hi   @Trudy Claspill , thanks for your reply

- it's a team managed project
- it's a Software project
- I have a backlog option in the navigation pane
Please see attached screens,
board screenshot only about 43 issues in backlog (renamed "ideas"), and 2 test issues manually created in board

issues screenshot shows 714 issues tagged as backlog2023-01-09 (1).png2023-01-09.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2023

You did not say if it is a Kanban board or a Scrum board, but I can see from the image you provided that it is a Kanban board.

If you have worked with Company Managed projects before, you may recall that an issue is in the Backlog or on the Board based on the Status of the issue. With the Backlog enabled, the Issue Status would be used to determine if the card should be displayed in the Backlog list or on the Board.

That is not the case for a Team Managed project Kanban board.

An issue can be in any valid status and be in either the Backlog list or on the Board.

If you use the Create Issue option in a column on the Board, Jira assumes you want the issue to display on the board. If you use the Create button at the top of the screen, or you create the issue in any other way, Jira assumes you want the issue in the Backlog.

When an issue is created in the Backlog for a Team Managed project Kanban board, you must go to the Backlog screen and drag it from the Backlog section of the list to the Board section of the list (above the Backlog section) to have the issue display on the Board.

You will not be able to create the issue from the Issues list and have it automatically display on the board.

Like Massimiliano Bariola likes this

@Trudy Claspill thanks. the backlog / board regions in the backlog screen are exactly what I needed.  Is there a way to sort those regions?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2023

How do you want them ordered?

The items higher in the list should be worked on before the items lower in the list. You can drag and drop issues to change their position in the list. There is no other option for ordering the issues in a board for a Team Managed project. The ordering is tracked automatically by Jira using a system field called Rank.

Like Massimiliano Bariola likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events