Stories and Tasks

Austin Stone
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 7, 2024

We are currently moving from Azure DevOps to Jira Software. 

Currently we are running into an issue were stories and tasks are at the same level (L2). This is problem because we want to use tasks and assign them to "user stories". 

The reason sub-tasks do not work for use is because of how our standup meetings are structured. We would like to move around our tasks and not have to navigate through the UI to get to sub tasks...

Has anyone encountered this and what was the fix?

3 answers

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

Hello @Austin Stone 

Unfortunately what you want is simply not possible with native Jira functionality.

The native issue hierarchy is

Epic
|-- standard level issues
|-- sub-task level issues

Jira does not support adding another level within that structure. And issues at the same level cannot leverage the native parent/child relationship hierarchy.

The work around is that you can use generic issue linking to link a Task to a Story and name the link relationship in a way to indicate that the Task is "a child of" the Story. But Jira will not inherently recognize that as a parent/child relationship.

With a Premium subscription you can add more issue hierarchy levels above the Epic level. In that case you could consider treating your Epics as "stories" with the Tasks being children of them, and add another 1..n levels above the Epics.

Alternately you can look for a third party app that will give you more flexibility in establishing parent/child relationships between issue types.

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 8, 2024

Hi @Austin Stone,

just to add to Trudy's answer, here's how this could look in the Marketplace app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira:

story-task-subtask-hierarchy.gif

For context, JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies. These issue hierarchies can be based on Jira's built-in parent/child relationships (like task/sub-tasks, or epic/story), and/or based on issue links of configurable issue link types.

In the example above, I'm using issue links of type is child of / is parent of to model the story/task relationship you're looking for.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2024

Hi @Austin Stone 

You can use issue links to create your own hierarchy at any level. If you would like to try out a mktplace app, please take a look at an add-one have developed for the same use case.

Issue Hierarchy 

The app shows your issues , their subtasks and the linked issues as well in a simple and easy to use tree view, with progress at each parent level. In the example below we have created a task below a sub task using issue links.

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Links Hierarchy - Create Linked issue animation.gif

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events