Stop old Project Key turning text into a link

Todd Palermo October 31, 2022

We are moving an old database to Jira where we had a control number that begins with PPH, so we created a new project in Jira and gave it the Key PPH. We added a text field in Jira to put the old control number in on imported issue like PPH-123, but Jira turns this into a link to the current project. We decided that this was confusing and changed the Jira Key to something else, but Jira still matches the text in a text field with a project Key that no longer exist.

Is there any way to update Jira that there isn't a PPH key project anymore?

2022-10-31_13-32-23.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Todd Palermo November 2, 2022

Looks like I have found the answer here: Editing a project key | Administering Jira applications Data Center and Server 8.5 | Atlassian Documentation

• The old project key can be used in JQL queries — Users won't have to update issue filters that reference the old project key.
  • You won't be able to create a new project with the old project key. However, you can change the renamed project back to the old project key. If you delete the project, all associated keys will be freed and you'll be able to re-use them.
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2022

The only way to do that on Server, is I think, hack the text renderer code to stop the text fields doing it.

Todd Palermo November 2, 2022

I don't want to stop this feature, but I wasn't expecting it to link to an old Project name. You see the link in the Text field is PPH-7755, but the URL is to PPHDEV-7744. We changed the Project Name from PPH to PPHDEV, but Jira is still linking even if the name doesn't match. There must be a way to stop this, right?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events