Stop notifications from deactivated user

Charles Chan January 3, 2021

We have a deactivated user that has watched an issue.

This user is no longer with us and not part of our account anymore, how can we stop getting notifications

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-240?error=consent_required&error_description=Consent+required&state=11fc88c2-6d0c-499d-b51f-87c233231943

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2021

Jira does not send emails to deactivated users.  The notifications you are seeing must be coming from some other route.  

Not sure what you mean, the user was previously watching this issue. We deleted the user from our account and there is no way for us to unsubscribe.

We are getting emails about the issue whenever someone comments.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2021

So you did not deactivate them from the Jira that is sending them the mail?  That means they're still an active user in there.  Deleting them from your systems is not relevant if you haven't removed them from the system sending the emails.

We have deleted them from our Jira organisation. 

We were not aware of what public issues the user had watched, one would assume that deleting them from our organisation would be sufficient. 

Note that the issue im talking about being watched is a public issue (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-240) not one from our organisation.

There appears to be no way to unwatch this now, in the emails we get there is no unsubscribe.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2021

Ok, so there are bits of this that are unclear, so I'd like to get a good look at the actual set up.

Let's imagine you had someone called "Bob" , with an email address of "bob@somewhere.com".    Bob has an Atlassian account, and has become a watcher on ID-240 in Atlassian's Jira.

So, where I am missing information:

• Where are the unwanted emails going to?   (Why is it you can see these emails, when it's Bob's account, not yours?)
  • Where do they say they are coming from?
  • What is your identity provider?
  • What does your organisation have to do with Atlassian's Jira?

Bob's Atlassian account was created to use with our Jira Organisation e.g. somewhere.atlassian.net 

Bob has since left and his email with somewhere.com redirects to our support inbox to make sure any important emails are not missing (should have been clearer about that, sorry!) 

Email subject is 

[JIRA] Updates for ID-240: Ability to merge Atlassian accounts to a single account with secondary emails

Email From is 

jira@am.atlassian.com (the name is whoever commented on the issue)

I mention our organisation somewhere.atlassian.net as the reason Bob has an account was we invited him, i guess that is separate to this problem? 

I just realized one thing i could do is try to run a forgot password on Bob's atlassian account and delete it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2021

Normally, when I ask for help understanding the situation, I get a lot of slightly different words that add nothing or irrelevant information, but I would love to buy you a pint (or whatever your local way to say "thank you" is) for clarifying everything perfectly for me!  Mostly:

Bob's Atlassian account 

his email with somewhere.com redirects to our support inbox

Sorts out all my misunderstandings.

So, the short answer is "Bob is not deactivated".   The long version is:

Bob has an Atlassian account which has been removed from your organisation, but not anywhere else it might have been used (such as Atlassian's main external Jira, probably the community here, and, and, and...).   As you own the email address and it's hooked up to a redirect, anything Bob had access to before leaving is still going to send email to your support address unless Bob opted out before they left.

I'd want to contact Bob to ask them to move anything on that Atlassian account if they want to keep it, but that's more about courtesy as I know nothing about your relationship with Bob.

If you are sure Bob isn't active with the account, then you've hit on eaxctly the right answer - use the forgot password to recover full access to the Atlassian account and ask for it to be deleted

Bob may have done stuff that prevents deletion, but you could still change the email address to one that won't bother your support people, or divorce it from those things that stop deletion and then kill it.  (Watching an issue in Atlassian's JaC won't stop deletion, but let's hope Bob isn't a reporter or assignee of one!)

Thanks for the help!

I got confused as i thought Bobs account was "our" account in Atlassian, the bit i didn't relize was when Bob signed up, he signed up as an Atlassian user and that user was then attached to our organisation.

I've gone in, requested a password reset and delete account which should solve it 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2021

I do not think it is clear that an Atlassian account belongs to a person rather than an organisation at first, at least until stuff like your situation needs questioning.   (organisations can claim and become the owners of Atlassian accounts, based mostly on the emails associated with the accounts). 

You're not alone in the confusion, I'm with you.  I just got through it on an earlier time-frame, and I got help from other community people here too.

0 votes
Christian Lauer August 11, 2023

Regarding this topic.  I just tested it, deactivated users will get logged off their account and don't receive any mail notifications anymore, but what about when they were logged on on private devices/apps - could they maybe still receive push notifications??

Thanks and regards

Christian 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events