Sprints for report generation in Kanban.

David Billé December 8, 2020

I just took over admin status for my team at work. Currently, we are using Kanban board to organize our workflow. I understand that sprints are only available when using Scrum. 

However, it appears that several sprints are in existence. When creating a new ticket, the last dropdown menu prompts me to add a sprint from a pre-existing list. In reports -> Workload Pie Chart, there is a dropdown menu to select the statistic type. Here I can also select 'sprint' and show those same pre-existing sprint names to sort my team's time. 

Perhaps these sprint names are auto-generated? I have searched, but I cannot figure out where this list of sprint names exists, or how I can add a new one. I am wondering if anyone knows how I can create a new sprint name so that my team can select it when creating new tickets, solely for the purpose of allowing me to generate reports for time spent on a bi-weekly basis.

Any advice is very much appreciated, thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2020

Yes sprint names are auto-generated. anytime you (or other user w/ manage sprint permissions) creates a sprint in their scrum backlog then the system will create a new sequentially numbered sprint. Here is some documentation on Sprints but unsure if there are any details therein on the naming or not.

David Billé December 8, 2020

Thanks for the timely response, Jack. Here's a follow up.

Our team previously used Scrum for the development phase of the project, and has only switched to Kanban for managed services. If I continue to create sprints in Scrum, even though it's not being actively used, will I be able to use those time frames as a measuring metric in my Kanban reports under the Workload Pie Chart reports? 

Alternatively, are there any other methods to track time in weekly/monthly blocks, instead of by the entire project?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Like Stuart Bradford likes this
0 votes
Antuan Sammak _ FusionTech Innovations
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2023

helpful post, thanks for sharing the information

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events