Sprints are shared between projects

Maroun Maroun May 15, 2023

Hi,

I have 3 projects and I'm using advanced roadmaps.

In the image below, you can see that for some projects, two sprints appear. Now if I delete one of them, it suddenly remove it from other project (see the empty space in the second project - that happened after I had two sprints on another project, after I deleted one of them, it was removed as well from the second one).

Can someone please clarify what's happening?

image (30).png

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Maroun Maroun,

Sprints are a global concept in Jira. You create them from a scrum board, but they are visible across the entire Jira Software product. And they have to be, because (in company managed projects), teams can and should be able to fill their backlog with issues from multiple Jira projects.

As sprint planning is done from a scrum board, it is quite common that issues from multiple Jira projects get assigned to the same sprint.

On top of that, it also happens that organisations set up multiple boards to manage the same issues: e.g. one for the cross-project team, but on top of that also a separate board in each project. Since Jira allows sprints to be created with the same name, that may result in multiple sprints having exactly the same name. Looking at the project indicators you have in your screenshot, that may very well the case here.

As a best practice, try to implement a good naming convention so you can clearly see what board your sprint belongs to. And update the sprint field of your issues in the sprint to the one from your team board before removing a sprint all together.

Hope this helps!

@Walter Buggenhout Thanks for your answer. The thing is that if I create a sprint from one project, I don't see it in another one, and that's why I'm creating them per project. Any idea why?

Just to clarify this, I've created "Sprint 38" in a project, however, it's not shown for other projects:

image (31).png

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Maroun Maroun, also to clarify: you don't create a sprint in a project. You create a sprint on a board (that is a different thing). And indeed, sprints from other boards do not appear automagically on other boards.

But it is possible to assign an issue to a sprint by editing the sprint field on that issue directly (in edit mode, so not by dragging it into a sprint on a board). If you have several sprints with the same name across your Jira instance, you may find them in the list of available sprints when you edit your issues inline. And then, as soon as you add an issue into a sprint from another board, that sprint will also pop up on every board your issue is on.

So that your sprint 38 is not appearing in other projects is because there are no issues from other projects assigned to that sprint.

@Walter Buggenhout perfect! I tried what you suggested and it indeed works. Thanks a lot for the clarification, I'll accept your answer.

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Awesome! Great that it works out!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events