Sprint time remaining in backlog view?

Dean Stevenson November 26, 2021

Hi,

In the backlog view under my current active sprint, there are 3 bubbles on the top right, grey, blue and green.  Grey and green are straightforward, not yet started tasks, and completed tasks. 

BLUE on the other hand is not giving what I would like I don't think.  The information I want, whether that should be blue, or a 4th bubble, is 'time remaining' in the sprint, which should be all 'time remaining' values added up for all tasks in the sprint.  this is the most critical information for me and I can hardly believe it's not just lying there. 

Anybody?

cheers,
Dean  

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2021

Hi @Dean Stevenson and welcome to the community,

These colors represent status categories. Grey and green are indeed to do and done. Blue represents all issues that are in an in progress state, so currently being worked on.

Apart from the indicators that you have there, the report section of your board has a lot more insightful data available, such as the sprint report and burndown chart.

Recently Atlassian also released Insights. In order to enable the information in there, all you need to do is correctly grant view aggregated data in your project.

Hope this helps! 

Dean Stevenson November 27, 2021

hi Walter, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the insights, and the burndown chart, as far as I can tell, suffer from exactly the same issue.  None of these 3 indicators splits up 'in progress' tasks into hours done, and hours remaining in any of the calculations.  

eg. if I had one task, 8h, and had logged 7h, with 1 remaining, all 3 of these indicators fail to recognize that I am 7/8ths done my work.

am I wrong, or is this a clearly missing feature?

cheers,

dean

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2021

Hi @Dean Stevenson,

What you see in the burndown chart also relates to the estimation and time tracking statistics defined in your board.

In Board Settings > Estimation you determine how you measure progress. If you want to see actual burndown based on remaining estimates, you need to select those. If your board settings are based on story points or issue count, the burndown will only be updated once an issue is completed entirely. 

Dean Stevenson November 27, 2021

Walter,

thank you, a great step in the right direction!  will definitely do this for burndown.  My most pressing need for this information however is on either sprint view (backlog or kanban) because we want individuals to be able to manage their sprint (only).  the principal desired workflow is to:

- see that your sprint (in progress) has say 20 hours of remaining work, but we know there is only 1 work day left.
- we try and kick out 14 hours of tasks' remaining work to the next sprint until we fit into this one

the problem right now is that it appears there is no way for that individual to do that math while looking at their sprint (on the face of it) without going into every single task and adding up the time remaining themselves.  It seems like an easy piece of data that should just by lying there on all the sprint views.

no?

cheers,
dean

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events