Sprint appears to have merged across two different projects

Emma Dowdeswell November 27, 2022

Hi

We started Sprint A (Project A) in the morning, and then about an hour later started Sprint B (Project B). Noticed that all the sprint data (goals, name) for Sprint A changed to be the same.

When looking further the sprint id was the same.  We think it was because a ticket from Project A was added to the Sprint B (backlog sprint that once started became active sprint). 

Is this expected behaviour?

Reason I'm checking is at the same time we had had a new add in enabled that shouldn't have had anything to do with sprints but timing is suspicious and we had never had sprints combine like this before.

2 answers

1 vote
gstoesz August 28, 2023

We have also seen this happen a few times -- I found this thread searching for answers as to why this might have happened. Has anyone else seen this or know what might be the cause?

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2022

@Emma Dowdeswell each sprint should have its own ID.  Sprints can have issues from multiple projects and it will not impact the sprint.  I doubt that it is the app that is causing the issue but it could be.  I am wondering if the sprint was created in the morning and someone just added issues to it thinking that they created a new sprint.  Could that possibly the issue?

Emma Dowdeswell November 28, 2022

@Brant Schroeder yep realise they should have a unique id. Is why we are so confused.  For our sprint starts they get actioned while on a online meeting.  So in the first one we were in Project A backlog and started Sprint A.  Then approx an hour later in a separate meeting with a separate person in charge of the board we had Project B open in it's backlog, clicked on start sprint, went through the sprint goals etc and started sprint.  

When I looked through other similar queries I think what happened was that someone had accidently assigned an issue that was already in Sprint A to Sprint B, then when Sprint B was started it somehow just edited Sprint A because of the issue that was in both sprints.

But not 100% sure ;)

Like vasanth likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2022

@Emma Dowdeswell I have never heard of anything like that.  Could be a user error or maybe you found a bug.  I would be concerned if it continues to happen.  I do not think it is your app but unless you can recreate it, it will be difficult to troubleshoot.  

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2022

Adding a note to this...

Normally an issue can be assigned only to one Active or Planned sprint, plus any number of already closed sprints. You typically cannot have one issue assigned to one Planned or Active sprint and then simultaneously assign it to another Planned or Active sprint. The issue would be pulled from the sprint it was currently assigned to and added to the selected sprint.

Diviesh Morjaria September 13, 2023

I see this thread is pretty old now, but suddenly today, we are seeing the same problem, did anyone ever find an answer to this?

Skylar Hinrichs September 18, 2023

I'm also experiencing the same problem in Sept 2023. I don't believe this bug has been resolved.

Brendan October 11, 2023

We are suddenly having the same issue as well

vasanth February 2, 2024

I am also facing the same issue. 

jbishop
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 5, 2024

This just happened to us today. We had an issue that was assigned into Team A's active sprint. After a discussion, we realized the issue belonged with Team B and had the issue moved into their active sprint. This caused Team B's active sprint to be overwritten with Team A's active sprint and all of their active issues were orphaned to their backlog. At this point, the sprints on both boards were linked and any change to one resulted in a change to both. 

I was able to solve the issue by removing the sprint assignment from the issue and then moving the issue back to Team A's project, and creating new active sprints for each team, adding all their user stories back to each sprint. This removed the linking between each team's boards. I then duplicated the information from original issue into a new issue on Team B's backlog. I then deleted the original issue from Team A's backlog. As of now, both teams seem to have returned to normal operating status. 

I suspect there must be some ID clashing going on. Both of these teams were formed at the same time, and they use a similar sprint cadence, so I'm guessing that the sprint IDs are a composite of some project-based ID which auto-increments and a universal ID which may be unique and somehow moving a ticket with identical auto-incremented ID's caused the universal ID from Team A's sprint to be written into Team B's sprint. That's my best guess at how something like this could happen. 

We have now implemented a best practice of removing all sprint assignments from an issue before moving it between projects.

If I can be of any more assistance to Jira developers to find the bug, feel free to reach out. 

Suggest an answer