Sprint Report: Completed Issues shows issues outside the sprint

Roy Ho August 16, 2022

We are a cross-functional team and have different boards for different units

For workflow, we have below statues:

Draft -> Reviewed -> In Progress -> Dev Done -> QA In Progress -> QA Done -> UAT -> Done

In developer's board, we have put below statuses into the "Done" column for reporting purpose:

Dev Done & QA In Progress & QA Done & UAT & Done

The sprint report completed issue session will incorrectly display issue completed outside the sprint.

Scenario:

Sprint 1:

• Task-1 moved to Dev Done
  • Sprint Report will show Task-1 under Completed Issues section as expected

Sprint 2 (while sprint start):

• Task-1 still in Dev Done status
  • Sprint Report will show Task-1 under Completed Outside This Sprint section as expected

Sprint 2 (updated status in sprint):

• Task-1 moved to QA In Progress
  • Sprint Report will show Task-1 under Completed Issues section, which is not as expected

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That looks correct to me.  You've got "QA in progress" in the "done" column for the board, so the developer's board is treating it as done.

Could you explain what you think is wrong with this?

Roy Ho August 16, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

But since the task is from status "Dev Done" to "QA In Progress", under this developer's board, both statuses are under the Done column.

In other words the task is moved from a "Done" status to another "Done" status (in reality it's passed to QA team). So I would expect there is no change from the developer and developer's work is still done outside of this sprint.

Besides when moving from "Dev Done" to "QA In Progress", same situation for any transition between the statuses under the Done column.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

I am sorry, I still don't understand what you think is wrong with this.

Task-1 is showing as done because it is in the done column.  What are you expecting it to do?  Start showing as incomplete while it's marked as done?

Roy Ho August 16, 2022

In the Sprint Report, there are several sections under the Status Report. I expect the task should still be in "Issues completed outside of this sprint"

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.09.25 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.09.57 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.10.08 PM.png

In addition, when sprint 2 starts, the task is already in "Dev Done" status, and it is correctly shown under "Issues completed outside of this sprint".

The problem happens if the task is moved to "QA In Progress" during sprint 2, then it will be shown under "Completed Issues" but not under "Issues completed outside of this sprint"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

But the issue was not completed outside the sprint, you marked it done during the sprint.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Carson Price November 17, 2022

My first thought is when you moved the task to done, it set the resolution to done (this occurs if your done status falls in the last column on the board).

When you moved the card from done back to in progress in sprint 3 it probably didn't erase that resolution date. So even though it is in progress on your board you'll see it is resolved and will maintain the resolution date and show that it is done. 

0 votes
Bharathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2022

Hi @Roy Ho,

I feel that you've marked all the 5 statuses below with the "done" category in Jira.  

Dev Done & QA In Progress & QA Done & UAT & Done

While Jira has 3 categories to-do, in-progress and done, since the above statuses are defined under done category, Jira considers the issues as done once they are part of any of the 5 statuses. This is the reason why task-1 is shown under completed issues even on moving it out of the status, in a different sprint. Let me know otherwise.

Hope this helps! Please let me know for any questions.

Thanks!

Roy Ho August 16, 2022

Hi @Bharathi ,

Thanks for your reply.

However since the status transition is from a "Done" category to another "Done" category (from another BU), so I would expect the task is still completed outside of the sprint.

We are doing this because in our workflow, we will both QA & user to test on the same ticket and provide sign-off. At the same time we want to keep track on development progress, that's why we created a "Developer" board for reporting use.

Bharathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

@Roy Ho, In the below scenario you've mentioned, as you expect, it shows as "completed outside of the sprint" when the issue is in sprint 2 and without any change made to its status.

But, when you move it to another "done" categorized status when in sprint 2, obviously Jira considers the new status as "done" and in turn assumes that the issue has been completed in the current sprint, which is sprint 2, and this is the reason for it to be displayed in Completed Issues section.

The best way to fix this would be to limit the statuses mapped to "done" category and move few statuses from "done" to "in progress" category.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Sprint 1:

• Task-1 moved to Dev Done
  • Sprint Report will show Task-1 under Completed Issues section as expected

Sprint 2 (while sprint start):

• Task-1 still in Dev Done status
  • Sprint Report will show Task-1 under Completed Outside This Sprint section as expected

Sprint 2 (updated status in sprint):

• Task-1 moved to QA In Progress
  • Sprint Report will show Task-1 under Completed Issues section, which is not as expected
Like Roy Ho likes this
Roy Ho August 17, 2022

Thanks for supplement. Yes this is the situation we are facing.

We actually have another "full" board for all parties. In that "full" board we only put the real "Done" status in the "Done" category.

The purpose of this separated "Dev" board is for the reporting of development stage. We also tried to un-map those "QA In Progress" / "UAT" / etc status, but the Sprint report for "Dev" board will be displayed incorrectly as well.

Therefore we are seeking for solution so that we can setup the reporting to keep track of few specific progress in sprint. Or want to see if we could keep these Tasks under the "Completed Outside This Sprint" if they are staying in statuses under the "Done" category. Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2022

So what you're saying is that a different board is reporting this?

That makes sense - the sprint you completed were from a different board, so the other board is going to tell you that the issues were completed elsewhere.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events