Sprint Board - filter subtasks completed in previous sprint

Guillaume Lebedel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 15, 2021

We use story swimlanes in our sprint boards with subtasks being moved throughout each column.

Sometimes stories aren't completed in a sprint and this means the sprint board can get cluttered with subtasks that were already completed in previous sprint.

We would like to create a quick filter to be able to easily hide subtasks completed in the previous sprint.

I attempted the following solution

1. Added a custom Text Field (single line) named "Done Sprint" 
  2. Set the text field to the active sprint name via a jira automation when the subtask is transitioned to done
  3. Tried to add this quick filter: "Done Sprint" IS EMPTY OR "Done Sprint" IN openSprints()"

This last step outputs the following error: 

The operator 'in' is not supported by the 'Done Sprint' field.

What is the quick filter query I should use in this case (assuming such a query is actually doable)? Would there be any other way to have the option not to display subtasks completed in previous sprints on the sprint board?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2021

Hi @Guillaume Lebedel 

Remember that JQL is not a SQL, and so things like openSprints() probably only work with the actual sprint field, and not generically with any fields.

You seem very close to a solution already, and if you do not need the actual "done sprint" value, how about this idea: just set a "hide" indicator.

• Run an automation rule when the sprint completes, marking subtasks (or other things) not to show again with a different custom field indicator (e.g. "HideOnBoard")
    • trigger: sprint completes
    • branch: on JQL for the issues to hide in the future (e.g. any done subtasks)
      • action: edit the issues to set custom field to "Yes"
  • Use a quick filter to ignore those (e.g. "HideOnBoard" IS EMPTY)

Another okay way to do this is with just JQL in a quick filter, hiding any "done" subtasks that were in prior sprints...although that will hide stuff as soon as it finishes in the current sprint:

project = myProjectName AND issuetype = Subtask AND statusCategory = Done AND sprint IN closedSprints()

Kind regards,
Bill

Guillaume Lebedel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 17, 2021

Hi Bill,

The `HideOnBoard` idea was indeed a much simpler solution! I've implemented it successfully and it achieves my initial goal.

Thank you for your help!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events