Specific Recurring Task Question - setting the status

GARY BORGES December 18, 2019

I am comfortable setting up recurring tasks but I have a question.

My recurring tasks always appear as t're status  'to do' or more specifically, in the backlog. I would like them to appear as 'define' in the scrum board. I suspect our statuses are defined by us. The real issue is I want the recurring tasks to appear on the scrum board, not the backlog. How do I do this? Can I set the status somehow in the recurring task setup?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2019

Hi @GARY BORGES  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You might could do that using an add-on like Automation For Jira or ScriptRunner. You can cause auto-transition of tickets based on particular actions that happen. 

GARY BORGES December 19, 2019

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I'm not trying to transition an issue. I am trying to execute a recurring task for a future sprint, with the status I want.

Can Jira do that? My company won't invest in an add-in for something this small.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2019

Well, if the card always goes to Backlog on Create and the Backlog status is mapped to the Backlog, then the only way to get them to a new status is to transition the issue. 

You might could create a new first column on your Board and map the Backlog status to that column. But not sure that's what you really want. 

GARY BORGES December 27, 2019

Thanks, John. It didn't sink in that it is a general configuration setting. Operations has things how they like it. This was a question for a specific situation of ,my ownI guess I will continue as is. I understand not though, thanks.

Gary

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

Okay - thanks for the update. If you can click on the Accept answer button, we can close this one out. Sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted it do. 

GARY BORGES December 27, 2019

Actually, I let your answer marinate and. We have multiple projects, dev, ops  etc. I'm in ops. Each project can have it's own workflow I learned.  I am going to ask the admin to change/setup the ops workflow so that 'create goes to Define (our first step out of the Backlog).

I will find accept answer.

Gary

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2019

Very good - let me know if you run into any problems setting that up. 

0 votes
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2019

Hi Gary

On a Scrum Board, you will always have a backlog. The board is for the sprint-view of the active sprint, everything else is backlog.

If you want a board without backlog, you will want to work with kanban boards.

If you are happy with the status' (workflow) and just want the column to be called "define", then just rename the column on your board.

Here's a documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-columns-938845277.html

GARY BORGES December 19, 2019

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response. This was very interesting information. Unfortunately it doesn't answer what I was looking for. My bad. I'll try to state it more clearly.

Can I set a specific status on a recurring task, have the recurring task execute in the current week/sprint (our sprints are one week), and have it be automatically assigned to the next sprint as an active ticket (not in the backlog)

(As we near the end of a sprint we start moving tickets to the next sprint and planning the next sprint for both time and priority in advance. What I have to do now is have it execute in the current week, remember to check the backlog and bulk change the recurring tasks (5) to the next sprint with status I want. I don't want to have to remember do this every week.).

Thanks,

Gary

Suggest an answer