Sorting releases on version number using semantic versioning

Olivier Rabeyrolles April 4, 2023

Hello everyone,

We recently had our first "x.y.10" release, but sorting on version number in the release page seems to sort alphabetically instead of taking into account the structure of semantic versioning. The result is "x.y.0", "x.y.1", "x.y.10", "x.y.2", etc.

Sorting on release dates isn't really convenient since we also release fixes on older versions, so the ideal scenario would be to sort according to the semver specification.

Is there any way to change this behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

Olivier

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2023

Hi @Olivier Rabeyrolles 

That's a good point but there is no way to change this behaviour.

Ravi

Olivier Rabeyrolles April 4, 2023

That's surprising, Jira is widely used to manage software development and semver is a broadly adopted standard, I really thought Atlassian would have sorted this out (pun intended).

Anyway, thanks for the quick answer!

Olivier

Like # people like this
0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 4, 2023

Hi @Olivier Rabeyrolles

I completely agree that this should be natively available, but just to put this out there: If you're open to a solution from the Atlassian Marketplace, this should work as expected in the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira:

natural-sorting.gif

For context, JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, such as support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping, sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

(I should add that the version sorting is currently based on natural sorting (i.e., 1 before 2 before 10), and not on full-fledged semantic versioning, with all its edge cases - but depending on your exact setup, this should do the trick. Let me know if that's not the case.)

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events