Solution Field Dependency

Robin Bendfeldt April 28, 2021

Hi community,

at the moment if I want to write a Bug Ticket I have to choose an option out of the solution field (see screenshot) before it is possible to create the issue. My questions are:

1. Can I change the dependency of the solution field? Choosing an option out of the solution field should not be requiered to creating an issue. If there has to be an dependency or connection the dependeny/connection should be linked to the transition moving an Issue from To Do -> Done. Just deleting the connection/requierement would work pretty fine for me.

2. How can I add other options to the solution field?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-27 um 14.55.28.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2021

Hi @Robin Bendfeldt,

The 'Resolution' field is rather special in Jira, and actually, more than just the actual field value is linked to this one. For example, issues are considered to be done (or resolved) once a resolution is set and issues are displayed with strike-through issue keys. You should have a look at this article to get a good overview: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/best-practices-on-using-the-resolution-field-968660796.html

Concerning your questions:

1. It's important to know that the 'Resolution' field is always mandatory when added to a screen. That said, it should be removed from the 'Create issue' screen anyways since currently every issue created would be considered as complete immediately.
  2.  The list of available options here is managed globally in the 'Resolutions' admin section at '%yourSiteURL%.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewResolutions.jspa'. Globally here means that those options are available for all projects on your instance.

Cheers
Thorsten

Robin Bendfeldt April 28, 2021

Hi @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ ,

your advice for my second question worked totally fine. Thank you! The article is pretty good, but I'm still trying do solve my wrong configuration in my board. I didn't make the jira-setup in my company because I am new and have to clean up the jira and creating new workflows, etc. so I have to figure out still what the former worker did with the solution and where that I can fix it.

Thank you for your quick support.

Best whishes

Robin

Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2021

Hi @Robin Bendfeldt ,

Getting around in a new instance is always 'fun'. 😄

A good resource related to your first question might be: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-issue-screens/

You should check '%yourSiteURL%.atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/project-config/%yourProjectKey%/screens' and ensure that the marked screen has no 'Resolution' field present.

community_create-screen.PNG

Cheers
Thorsten

Like Robin Bendfeldt likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS