Smart Values Condition With Lookup Index

Hagay September 15, 2022

Hi,

With Jira automation, I'm doing a lookup and I want to use only the first 20 items of the returned JQL. Since JQL does not support something similar to "TOP N", I wanted to use the index property of the lookup.

Note the "if" below:

{{#lookupIssues}}
{{#if(index.lt(20))}}
{{index}} - {{summary}} (by {{assignee.displayName}})
{{/}}
{{/}}

But this doesn't work, without any errors. 

The {{index}} part works as expected (in case I remove the condition).

Can I use the index to get the first items of a lookup result?

2 answers

2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2022

Hi @Hagay 

Short answer: This may not be possible using {{index}} that way, and there is at least one work-around

Longer answer:

Smart value, list filtering appears to only access the issue fields;  {{index}} is an attribute of the list, not of any of the issues.  And so it cannot be used in the filtering or apparently with functions.  If you believe {{index}} should work this way, I suggest submitting a defect to Atlassian Support.

One possible work-around is to store your lookup issues result in a created variable as a text string, split it by a delimiter, and then use match() with a regular expression to find the first 20 items.

For an example, please see below, and adjust the delimiters, as needed, based upon your issue summary contents (i.e. punctuation characters).

• action: lookup issues with JQL.  For consistency, I would add an ORDER BY statement to the JQL.
  • action: create a variable to store the consolidated list and their 0-based index
    • name: varLookupData
    • smart value:  Create a text string, delimited by ";index:" at the beginning of each issue.
{{#lookupIssues}};index:{{index}} - {{summary}} (by {{assignee.displayName}}){{/}}
  • action: log the results (or whatever you need) with the results of the first 20 items
{{varLookupData.split(";index").match(":((0|[1-9]|1[0-9]) .*)").substringAfter(" - ")}}

Split the text string on ";index" and leave the starting colon, to create a new list.  The match() function will then find only items beginning with ":0" through ":19".  The final substringAfter removes the index prefix information, leaving only the summary and assignee.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2023

Hi @Hagay  - Did you ever try to implement Bill's answer? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events