Smart Value .right(x) won't add parse text into Text Field (Single Line)

Chris Rose January 12, 2022

I've been checking the Smart Value Automation options here: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-text-fields/

I've been try to use the right parse option listed here:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-text-fields/#right-int-length-

As soon as I introduce that .right the automation doesn't add any text into the field. If I take the .right out, then the text field will fully fill the field it's reading from without issue. It's just that right parse that is causing it to fail (though doesn't fail in the audit log).

Anyone ever had issues with this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Hi @Chris Rose 

What is the type of your custom field?  The functions you note operate on text values.  So if the source field is numeric or a date/time, you may need to change to text first.

Also for a question like this, it can help to include an image of your rule and audit log.  Those may provide the community more context to help.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Chris Rose January 13, 2022

Hi Bill,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The Originating Field is a single select list, and the Target Field is a Free Text field. Like i said, if I ignore the .right operator, and just try to copy the full value, it works fine which is why this has me puzzled.

Here's the rule:

autorule.jpg

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Thanks for that information, Chris.

That type of field contains everything returned for the selection (the ID and value), so please try this:

{{issue.Supplier.value.right(5)}}

Chris Rose January 14, 2022

Oh my word. I thought I needed it the other way around and to use the Text field options to write, not read the list settings!

You star. Thanks Bill!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Chris Rose January 13, 2022

Just a follow-up, it actually seems that ALL the additional options for the Smart Values give a blank result (the Audit Log still recording a success).

so anything from .reverse .left .match etc. do not work. 

Is this because I'm copy from a custom field into another custom field?

Suggest an answer