Slack "/jira ABC-123" gives "project not found"

johan May 20, 2020

I use the Jira Cloud app on Slack. And I use Jira Next-gen.

It seems to work:
* I get PM notifications when tickets that I watch are updated. 

* I get a summary from Jira Cloud whenever I paste a link to a ticket. Like
https://mycompany.atlassian.net/browse/ABC-123

However, if I type "/jira ABC-123" the Jira Cloud app tells me that the project ABC was not found.

If I type "https://mycompany.atlassian.net/browse/ABC-123" as a PM to the Jira Cloud bot I both get a summary of the ticket and a message that the project was not found.

How can I make the "/jira ABC-123" command work?

Screenshot 2020-05-20 at 15.21.07.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2020

Hello @johan !

The difference you're seeing here is that a full URL will trigger a preview for any issue in a connected Jira site, while the /jira command only matches issues for projects that have an active subscription for the Slack channel you're in.

You can confirm that the Slack channel doesn't have a subscription to the NE project by typing the /jira manage command in your Slack channel. If there are no projects connected to the channel at all, you'll receive this message:
image.png

Otherwise if there are some other projects (not the NE project you're after) connected, you can use the /jira connect command to add additional project subscriptions to the channel.

It sounds like you might be getting personal notifications from the Slack app already to get your watcher notifications. That's great! In that case, you may want to mute notifications from particular projects into your Slack channel. This would allow you to use the /jira ABC-123 command or simply get issue previews by typing the issue key itself in a message (example: "Yes, we advanced NE-143 by a sprint due to business requirements"). You can do this from the Slack integration page for the project in Jira - here you can see I have muted notifications to two channels so that I can still use the issue previews without sending general updates to that channel:

image.pngCheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events