Slack notifications/integration for restricted comments

jack_voller December 9, 2021

When I post a comment in a Jira issue and restrict the comment visibility to a specific group, the comment will not be posted to slack despite having a slack integration setup. If I post the same comment without restricted visibility in Jira, it will post to Slack.

Is there a way to configure Jira/Slack so that restricted comments still get sent to Slack?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2021

Hi @jack_voller , welcome to the Community!

Once an issue security scheme is active on a project, you should be able to use it in the Slack subscription. You may need to create a new subscription to the channel if you don't see the Security Level option dropdown. For the subscription matches, you should be able to select which issue security levels you want to include:

image.png

(this example project only has one issue security level of "Restricted")

Do note that if the Slack channel is public, folks who otherwise wouldn't see the issue in Jira might be able to see information related to the issue via the Slack notifications.

Cheers,
Daniel

jack_voller December 14, 2021

Hi @Daniel Eads ,

Thanks for the reply, however I am not having an issue with the issue level security, but the actual comment level access. Within a comment itself, I have selected a specific group to have visibility of that comment. For any comment that I change the security access from the default option of all users, it no longer gets posted in slack... Is there a way around this?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2021

Ah indeed - thanks for pointing that out, which you did include in your original question and I overlooked. Unfortunately I don't believe there's a bypass for this currently in the native Slack integration.

As a possible workaround, you could look at creating a Jira Automation rule that runs on issue comments, have it check for the restriction, and then send the comment body to Slack. This wouldn't be as clean as the native integration's notifications, but a potential way to get the comments in to Slack.

Kanhaas June 7, 2022

Hi guys, got the jira to slack integration working, but all comments are not coming through...

Everything is configured as needed

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events