Slack notification strikethrough

Nikesh Ashar August 3, 2021

We've got jira notifications integrated with our Slack. We're now testing Zendesk being integrated with Jira and continuing to come into Slack. 

When updating a Jira ticket in Zendesk, the notification comes through with a strikethrough on the title of the message and no body included. Is that normal? 

jira-strikethrough.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2021

Hello @Nikesh Ashar ,

Jira uses a Markdown Syntax that is covered in more detail here:

The Strikethrough text is controlled by a double Tilde "~~" on each side of a text string, so "~~text~~" would be marked down and formated as "text".

Next, looking at the Zendesk markdown documentation I do not see a strikethrough option listed, and the Tilde encapsulation does not appear to be used for another formating option either:

So on the surface, this looks like there may be tilde characters being used in the Zendesk summary as markers vs formating, that are being rendered on the Jira side, I am not familiar enough with Zendesk setting to know if this can be changed or customized to remove the formating and would recommend reaching out to Zendesk support to see if they have any insight on this,  their support information can be found on the apps marketplace listing under the Support tab here:

Additionally, another issue that could be at play is that Jira will render the summary of issues that are completed, with strikethrough text, to indicate the issue is closed out.  The  data point that considers an issue as complete is that it has a value in the resolution field, so you may have run into a scenario where the issue is in an open status but has a resolution and is being treated as done, check out the following KB article that goes into more detail of diagnosing and fixing this if the scenario is the case:

Regards,
Earl

Nikesh Ashar August 13, 2021

Thanks Earl. I'll take a look through all the links and see what's going on. 

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Bruno Luchetti
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 14, 2021

Any news? we have been experiencing the same issue

Nikesh Ashar October 18, 2021

@Bruno Luchetti it got escalated to Jira support / Slack admins too. Apparently needs to be fixed by their engineering team but I've not heard back from anyone for a while. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events