Slack automation

Tomi Magdič February 16, 2021

Hi!

Is it possible to automate changing dedicated channel when for example issue is created which contains summary name of that slack channel.

So If I write in Summary: "Task for channel A", is it possible to create automation, which will fill Slack Discussions -> Dedicated channel in this Task to slack channel A?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2021

Hi @Tomi Magdič 

Using automation for Jira, when you send the Slack message with a rule you can override the default channel to pick another. So, your rule would check the Summary and use a condition to decide which channel to use.  Please see this documentation for details:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-automation-with-slack/

Best regards,

Bill

Tomi Magdič February 17, 2021

@Bill Sheboy this is for sending messages to slack?

I don't want to send a message, I just want to edit channel field for this task

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2021

Hi @Tomi Magdič   Thanks for clarifying that question.

The dedicated channel from Jira to Slack appears to be a setting of the project and I do not see a way to do that from an automation rule, using actions or the REST API.  I also checked the developer community and open Jira suggestions...this idea is not in there, so please consider adding it if you wish.

Hopefully one of the automation engine developers will see this question and can comment further if this is possible.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events