Slack alert with all tickets each time a new sprint starts / release is deployed

ABD September 13, 2022

Hello all,

I would like to address the following use-cases:

1. Keeping key stakeholders updated each time a new sprint starts with the exact content of whats in the sprint

2. Similarly keep stakeholders updated each time a release is deployed with the exact content of whats in the sprint

Our organization uses slack for all communication so I would like to enable the following flow:

1. Each time a new sprint starts a message is sent to a given slack channel with a list of

all tasks

2. Each time a new release is deployed a message is sent to a given slack channel with a list of all tasks

Is this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

Yes, it is possible, and you can do this with automation. The first automation would be triggered on sprint started, then use a lookup issues for that sprint and then send the Slack message like this:

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 9.32.19 AM.png 

The second automation would trigger on version released.

ABD September 14, 2022

@Mikael Sandberg thanks for your answer!

In this final stage of the automation how can I iterate through all of the stories captured in step two and display the titles and ideally links to the jira as the body of the slack message?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

You can, but a better option would be to use the list feature to list them, lookup issues will return a list of issues and you can use that to create the list directly in the message like this:

{{#lookupIssues}} 
* {{key}} {{summary}} {{url}}
{{/}}

You find out more information about using sections and list with smart values here

ABD September 25, 2022

@Mikael Sandberg thanks so much this was super helpful! 

1. Is there a way to get the name of the sprint for the slack message?

2. Would you be able to explain the logic of the syntax you provided so I can learn how it works?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2022

@ABD You should be able to get the name by using {{sprint.name}}, and you can learn more about the logic of the syntax I provided if you check out the link in my post above.

ABD September 28, 2022

@Mikael Sandberg thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events