Slack Integration: Jira link added using Slack workflow is not unfurled

Bill Martin May 23, 2023

We use a Slack workflow for async standup/updates.  When users add a Jira key/link to the workflow it is not showing up (says "Log in with Atlassian account"). But when dropping in the key/link as a usual message it does unfurl properly.

Jirabot is invited to the channel.

Is this a permission issue?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christopher Maxwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi @Bill Martin , welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Would you upload a screenshot of the place you are inputting the Jira key/link in workflow and seeing the message?

-- Christopher

Bill Martin May 28, 2023

url unfurls when added directly to channel (not in workflow).pngurl not unfurled when dropped into workflow.pngworkflow form.pngworkflow start.png

Bill Martin May 28, 2023

See added images (I tried a few times earlier but turned out I was closing tab before images uploaded).

Christopher Maxwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2023

Hi @Bill Martin , thanks!

I'm not familiar with Slack workflows. It looks like some type of automation? Or, are you using Workflow Steps for Jira?

Since regular Slackbot has access to Jira, I'm thinking the permission/config issue lies within the workflow tool.

-- Christopher

Bill Martin May 31, 2023

Thanks for trying! Much appreciated.

Christopher Maxwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2023

Hi @Bill Martin , happy to help. And, thank you for posting the follow-up! It's always great to get to the root of an issue.

I'll mark this ticket as "answered" and will include the information from the slack forum below for reference:

Unfortunately, the behavior you're experiencing is expected.

When a Jira link is posted via a workflow, it will not automatically unfurl. This is because Jira unfurls are specifically handled by the Jira app itself. As apps cannot edit the posts of other apps, including Workflow Builder, Jira is unable to find and add the unfurl to posts made by your workflow.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events