Simulate the effect of due date in subtasks in its parent task

Ritu July 7, 2021

Hello!

I have been investigating the following but I haven't found any solutions so far. Here's what I am trying to do:

- When I change the due date of one or many subtasks, that should automatically change the due date of its parent task or epic.

-Secondly,  Is there any way to view the above mentioned change in a more visual way? I have been exploring 'Timeline' feature in Project view to simulate the effects of due date change in a sub task and how that gets reflected in its parent task.

Any thoughts or input will be highly appreciated. 

Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

You should investigate automation for the first task of updating the parent due date when the child due date changes. Regarding how to visually see that the change has been made one way that I employ is to have three different date fields: due date (system field), forecast (custom), resolution date (system). This gives me a plan, forecast, actual solution. I never change the original plan (due date) I enter a forecast if it’s different than the plan and then the resolution date gives me the actual date.

Ritu July 7, 2021

Thanks Jack! I get your answer conceptually. Is there any documentation or would it be possible for you to walk me through it on how to implement what you suggested?

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2021

Hi @Ritu  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I do not believe you can do "what-if" analysis based upon dates for lower-level issues (story, bug, task, subtask) with out-of-the-box Jira Cloud standard version.  For epics, you could use drag-n-drop and issue edit on the Roadmap to see impacts.  For more what-if features, you could investigate marketplace addons for purchase.

Regarding synchronizing start and due dates between parents/children, you could use the built-in automation rules feature or purchase one of the marketplace addons for scripting.  The key for either of these approaches is to clearly understand what you want before implementation, especially the edge cases.  For example:

• What does it mean for a parent's start and due dates to reflect the child issues?
    • Can the parent have a broader timeframe than the children, or 
    • Is the earliest child always the parent's start, and the latest child always the parent's due date?
  • When a subtask due date moves earlier, how does that impact the parent?  Are all subtask checked when a change occurs?
  • When a subtask due date moves later, how does that impact the parent?  Are all subtask checked when a change occurs?
  • How can you detect errors in date ranges?
  • etc.

Best regards,
Bill

Ritu July 7, 2021

Thanks Bill. Are there any add-ons that you recommend to achieve what you suggested. I looked into automation rules but didn't work for me. Would you have any documentation around implementing such rules?

Thanks again!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2021

Hi!  I am not using any marketplace addons like that currently, so you could do a keyword search here and see what looks like it might help...and no doubt if there is a vendor watching this thread, they will suggest something.  ;^)
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

For automation, here is some good information to start, including the template library with examples of synchronizing between parent/child issues:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/label/all/1453
https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation
https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/getting-started/best-practices#jira-automation-best-practices

Like Ritu likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events