Simplify importing a .csv file that was exported from Jira Cloud back into Jira Cloud.

Michael Koch June 25, 2021

I hope this isn't duplicated.  I received an error when I submitted this last time.

Is it possible to simplify how to import into Jira Cloud a Jira Cloud .csv file it exported?  An option for importing a previously exported Jira Cloud formatted .csv would be awesome.   My goal is to use Excel to clean up the content  instead of using the Jira web UI.  Specifically, fix spelling, edit start/completion dates, and reorder the items (including key numbers) so the list goes Task 1 then the subtasks to Task 1, Task 2 then the child subtasks to Task 2...etc.  

We tried the manual method.  I only changed contents in the rows (text, dates, key #s), not column headings or column positions..  Some challenges my admin and I encountered include:
1) best if done by an Admin
2) the column headings choices when importing don't match up 1:1 to the column names that were exported.   
3) the format the date in the exported file is different than the format Jira provides when importing the file. 
4) the format of the assignee/owner names in the exported file e.g., "John Smith" is different than the format required when importing back into Jira (numeric or email format).   

All of those issues we've been able to overcome.  Where we are struggling is that the task/subtask start and stop dates imported don't match up with what is in the spreadsheet.  It's almost as if the month from one cell was combined with the day from another cell in that row.  Not sure how to fix it other than go to the web UI and edit each date separately.  

Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2021

Hi Michael,

Did you get this resolved? 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2021

You can use CSV import to update fields. You need to include the issue key. Note that you cannot change the issue key as you have indicated.

Michael Koch June 25, 2021

Thanks.  We did use the CSV export and the CSV import.   One thing I forgot to mention is that my admin created a brand new project so we wouldn't impact the original file.   As it turned out, Jira imported the tasks in the new order I put them in but assigned them all new keys that were different that what I gave them.  The key numbering being different didn't seem to be an obstacle.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events