Simplified Workflow (by default vs. change to simplified workflow)

Florian Minterbauer April 17, 2021

Hello all,

I am currently studying for the ACP-600 and am a bit confused by the "simplfied workflow".

In the exam topics there is the following question:

What are the limitations on changes to the Simplified Workflow?

My understanding is that I can add statuses but the transitions must always be "Transition to All". Did I understand this correctly? I have also tried it and it was still the simplified workflow. But in the ACP-600 transcript it says, "Once you edit a simplified workflow adding statuses and transitions, it is no longer a simplified".
This is wrong, isn't it?

It also says that a non-simplified workflow can be changed to a simplified workflow if the following is true:
There is only one project being viewed by your board
• That project uses a Jira workflow scheme, which only has one workflow for all issue types
• Your workflow only uses post functions, validators, and conditions that are provided by
Atlassian – and not any of which provided by add-ons
• The existing workflow has at least one outgoing transition for each status

How do the two statements fit together? On the one hand "transition to all" is must have and on the other hand it is enough if "The existing workflow has at least one outgoing transition for each status"

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2021

Hi, @Florian Minterbauer !

Your reasoning got me thinking and re-read the official documentation - Using the Simplified Workflow . 

On 1-st question:

... in the ACP-600 transcript it says, "Once you edit a simplified workflow adding statuses and transitions, it is no longer a simplified".
This is wrong, isn't it?

About what transcripts are you talking? Are you sure that it is all information on that context?

As for me, if you add to simplified workflow new statuses with, for example, "allow all statuses to transition to this one"(with out adding additional conditions/validators/post-functions)/no screens on transitions - this workflow continues to be simplified workflow.

It means that project-admins(not global jira-admins) can create it or edit it, like you know project-admins doesn't have permissions to see/add/edit any workflow conditions/validators/post-functions/properties/no screens on transitions/etc.

On 2-nd question:

How do the two statements fit together? On the one hand "transition to all" is must have and on the other hand it is enough if "The existing workflow has at least one outgoing transition for each status"

What's wrong? 

"Transition to all" and "allow all statuses to transition to this one" are not the same things. 

Because "Transition to all" means that from each status you can go to any another status on workflow(imagine the board where you moving cards). And it is the same that "The existing workflow has at least one outgoing transition for each status". The main words are "for each status" , not just the single outgoing transition.

I hope it can help you in exam preparation!

Keep calm during the exam and you will succeed!

Suggest an answer