Simple priority permission

Darren Smith January 7, 2021

Hi,

Before I make something so simple, woefully complex and potentially service breaking (!) - I wanted to know how best to add the functionality to a standard JIRA user for them to change the Priority in tasks?

I've been looking into custom groups, permissions for software schemes, field configurations, etc - but nothing seems to quite fit the bill. I just want one user to carry on as he is, but also have the ability to change the Priority value on each ticket.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Darren.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sandesh Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

@Darren Smith 

Generally anyone with the edit issue permission in the permission scheme will have the ability to change all the fields in edit screen including priority.

Thanks and Regards

Sandesh

I've ended up giving him the relevant permissions within the project and it works fine.

Thanks for the suggestions - gives me something to work on moving forward should we need more changes!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Priority permissions are associated with the Edit issues permissions. Are you saying the user has the ability to edit the issue but not the Priority?

Hi Jack - thanks for the response.

The user is currently in the access-jira default group and can alter the status of tasks from To Do, In Progress, etc - which is fine and we want him to carry on doing that.

However, we'd also like him have access and the ability to choose from a custom field radio button selection called CAB Priority which has five options.

I think as it stands, the status of the tasks isn't Editing the task as such and is therefore allowed. But to give the user access to change the value on a custom field, is?

Thanks,

D.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Correct. Have you inspected the project Permissions? Is this NG or Classic? Is there a reason why you would not want the user editing other fields?

Realistically, no - there isn't a reason. I didn't really look at the project permission level as the user in question could potentially cross projects - so I didn't want to muddy the waters that way.

I guess JIRA was implemented at our site with the view that we'll restrict everything as much as possible and only increase access rights as they are required. Probably not the best method!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events