Simple chart report based on custom field

Majda Lazarevic January 28, 2021

Hi,

I'm trying to create some reports based on a custom field. However, this field doesn't appear in the drop down list of fields when creating reports or gadgets (some other custom fields are there). 

I tried changing the type from text to number field type, but this didn't change behaviour. What's going on?

In addition to typical Jira reports I would like to get simple chart based on one field in the issues like I would do in excel. E.g stacked chart showing cumulative value of this field for all issues of high priority.

I know this is not what's Jira geared towards, but it must be possible to do something as simple as that without export to excel? 

Br,

Maya

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Hi @Majda Lazarevic 

I agree that the built-in, Jira Cloud gadgets are quite limited in what they support.  Without more information about what you are trying to visualize/report on, your options appear to be:

• Investigate the other dashboard gadgets to see if they support your field
  • Investigate marketplace add-on products (for purchase) with better gadgets
  • Investigate the Atlassian Excel add-on (or Google Sheets) to simplify data access with Jira and build your own charting
  • Build your own gadget for displaying information on a dashboard

Best regards,

Bill

Jordyn K_ Lee March 30, 2022

I'm having almost the same issue. Specifically, I'm trying to generate a chart in Confluence that would allow a colleague to see all the tickets (and their statuses) under one "Customer Name" (the custom field). This is a field all the epics in the Jira project have. 

This field does show up when I make a different chart, more of a list though, and not actually a ticket overview. So I don't understand what the difference is. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2022

Hi @Jordyn K_ Lee 

Are you trying to filter by the custom field or to chart the values in the custom field?  If just filter the values with JQL, have you tried the Jira Two Dimensional chart on your Confluence page?  This would be a table allowing you to select rows/columns, such as Assignee and Status.

Kind regards,
Bill

Jordyn K_ Lee March 30, 2022

@Bill Sheboy Thank you for coming back to this! 

So specifically, the custom field of "Customer Name" does not populate as an option to chose in the Y or X axis. So yes, ideally, a 2D chart would serve perfectly, but I don't know how to make it appear for me. 

The field is a text field, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem, it should just list whatever was filled in. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2022

Yes, I wish the gadgets were "smarter" that way...but simple typos could lead to lots of values not merging as a single reporting value. 

The only work-arounds I know of for this would be to use Components, Labels, or a single-select custom field for customer name.  Those would allow selection for what you noted.

Like Jordyn K_ Lee likes this
Jordyn K_ Lee March 31, 2022

That is valuable info. that might work for my purposes. Thank you! 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events