Showing epics in list

Joep February 28, 2024

Hi,

If i use in the general settings of my project this filter:

project = MOS AND "Epic Link" != MOS-732 AND status != Done ORDER BY created ASC

I can see all the epics the backlog but ofcourse not MOS-732.

But i don't see any epic in te column left to the backlog, the column "versions/epics

epic leeg.jpg

How can i fixed this.

with kind regards,

Joep

2 answers

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2024

Hi @Joep,

This looks like a screenshot from a Data Center instance rather than cloud, no? It is not directly relevant for your question, but in cloud epic link has been replaced by Parent by now, so just checking to be sure.

That you can see epic names listed on the tickets in your backlog on the right hand side may be misleading. These are just fields on those tickets and seeing them displayed there does not mean your query is returning the epics. I rather think it doesn't.

Epics can't be linked to other epics and I would not be surprised that this part in your JQL ...

"Epic Link" != MOS-732

... is excluding your epic issues. I have two suggestions you may want to try. Either explicitly include your Epics in the JQL like this:

Project = MOS AND ((IssueType = Epic AND key != MOS-732) OR
(Issuetype != Epic AND "Epic Link" != MOS-732 AND status != Done))

Alternatively, add a clause to explicitly include issues where the Epic link is not filled out:

Project = MOS AND ("Epic Link" != MOS-732 OR "Epic Link" IS EPTY)
AND status != Done

I left out the order by statement, but would suggest replacing it with ORDER BY Rank. You probably have good reasons to sort the issues by their created date, but doing so will block you from changing the order on the board by dragging issues up or down.

Hope this helps!

Joep March 4, 2024

Thanks,

This works fine!

regards,

Joep

0 votes
Nikola Perisic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2024

Welcome to the community @Joep !

Try using the Epic Name instead of the Epic Link and the equal operator (=) instead of is not equal operator (!=).

Joep February 29, 2024

Sorry, dat dit not show the items in the epic list.

But the query works, you can see the epic names in the right column.

epics don't show up in the left green frame.

How do i fix that?

Joep February 29, 2024

When I Use Epic Name i see only the epic but not the user stories underneat the epic

Suggest an answer