Showing a list of tasks with statuses to a group of people who should not see details of those tasks

Tomasz Jurek May 18, 2023

I'm looking for a way to show task statuses to a group of users who should not be able to view the details of those tasks. 

Ideally, this would be available to a group of users who are assigned in a particular field of those tasks, in the form of a list of tasks in which they are assigned in this particular field, and in that list I need them to see the date the task was created, it's current status, the date of the last status change, and the person this task is currently assigned to.

Is there a simple way to do this?

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

Hi @Tomasz Jurek and welcome to the Community!

No,  simply put there is no (simple) way to do this. Logged into Jira Software, you can either see an issue or you can't. There is no way to display part of an issue. Which makes sense, I would dare say. I would suspect that showing status - and nothing else - to your involved stakeholders very much feels like a carrot encouraging them to start stalking you to obtain more details of what is going on with those issues, something they would be able to see if they had proper access. And that may distract the people working on those issues away from doing the actual work.

Jira Service Management has a customer portal that allows people to create issues. Through the portal they can indeed only see limited information of those (the information they entered, the current status of the issues and comments exchanged between your internal organisation and the customer). This is specifically built for ITSM/ESM use cases.

As an alternative, you may want/need to look into using the Jira API to extract a list of the concerned issues and publish them into an external web page for viewing just what you want to show there.

Hope this helps!

Tomasz Jurek May 19, 2023

Thanks for the reply. I use Jira as ATS and this would allow me to show people the status of candidates they recommend for jobs within the company without allowing them to see any discussions between recruiters and hiring managers because that's confidential. 

Jira is a pretty good tool to build an applicant tracking system, especially at tech companies, where it's the daily environment of all hiring managers and tech leaders who participate in the recruiting process. Not having to drag them out to some other system is a great advantage. But I still miss some elements of dedicated ATS systems, even though it seems like it shouldn't be a problem to set up in an extremely configurable tool like Jira.

Anyway, now I know how to get it done if I really need to. The JSM based solution seems to make sense. Thank you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events