Showing Custom Issue Type in 'Create' menu

Sivakumar Kolli May 18, 2021

I created two new task types "Initiative' and 'Theme' but I can't seem to have them show as 'Issue type' when creating a new task.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

Hello @Sivakumar Kolli 

Are you working with a Team Managed or a Company Managed project?

How did you create the new issue types?

For Company Manage projects simply creating new issue types (through JIRA Administration functions) does not automatically make those issues available in all projects.

Once we know what type of project you are using and how you created the new issue types we can advise you more.

Hi Trudy,

I am working with Team Managed project. I created the issue types thru the Admin config menu.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

Do you mean that you went through the gear icon next to your avatar, selecting Issues > Issue Types? That is the starting point to create a new Issue Type for a Company Managed project but not for a Team Managed project.

For a Team Managed project, go to that project and select Project Settings. Then click on Issue Types. That is where you create new issue types for Team Managed projects. However, note that the new issue types created there are equivalent to a Task or Story - the issue type in the middle of the hierarchy.

If you are trying to extend the hierarchy of issue types for your project, I'm not sure how that is done for a Team Managed project, as I work mostly with Company Managed projects.

Got it, thanks!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2021

If your question has been answered, it would be great if you could click on the Accept Answer option.

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2021

Hi @Sivakumar Kolli  - the new Issue Types must be added to the Issue Type Scheme used by the project. 

Suggest an answer