Show story points instead of time estimation on board

gabriel_franzoni July 8, 2019

One of the biggest caveats of JIRA software is its complexity to use basic features.

I am using "Story Points" estimation on a SCRUM board, but the layout of my cards on the board still shows a dash for time estimation "-", and for "Story points" there's a bizare custom field with basic styling, like the "Components" (App - iOS on picture below). Also, on my backlog, the layout is correct, using the same component used for time estimation...

Why can't I just switch from time to points and use the same layout?

I wonder also why I cannot personalize the 'components' color/label, so it's more visible, like a Trello tag. This layout is terrible for visualization, since Components are really important.

image.png

image.png

1 answer

0 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2019

If you use a scrum board instead of a kanban board, there's an option in the board settings to change between hours and points as the estimation unit which will then populate that field.  You lose the kanban type backlog and a few other benefits of the kanban board and also have to manage to sprints though.

They dont have the option to change estimate unit in the kanban board.

gabriel_franzoni July 8, 2019

Actually, I am using a SCRUM board, not a Kanban one.
I just found out the issue was this configuration:

image.png

Time tracking must be set to 'None'. This way the card layout populates the estimation field with story points.

This a bit confusing, right? Since on the backlog it shows on one component and on the card layout, it doesn't.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2019

Ah yes you do need to set that.  The reason is that most folks who burndown hours within a sprint still measure the backlog in story points.  They could probably improve the UX in that area.  Glad you figured it out!

Suggest an answer