Should we create 1 project or 2?

Jim Heidecker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2018

We are new to Agile and Jira.  Our team (4 dev, 1 PO, 1 SM) is spending about 40% developing a major new product for the next 6 months (or more) and the rest of the time supporting and enhancing 50+ smaller applications.  Do you recommend putting all the team's work into a single project or do we create a separate project for the new product and another project for all the run and maintain work?  To complicate things, the PO for the new product does not have time to deal with the other 50+ apps so we have another unofficial PO for that (and the two PO's just agree on how resources are allocated),  We do not have enough resources to split into two teams.

Wondering if the next-gen Jira will make it easier to share resources across two projects? 

1 answer

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2018

Hi @Jim Heidecker

I would split this into two projects, because you are doing different things in the projects. That way it will be also easier to configure the projects to the needs of the different kind of work, although it might look as if it is harder to manager. But I suggest to keep configuration as close as possible to each other, because that will make it easier to handle when switching between issues of both projects.

Also have in mind, that you can create Boards, that have the issues of both projects on them, so you can easily see all things that you are working on in one place.

Suggest an answer