Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Should the incidences of continuous improvement, Spikes and delivery be estimated, based on agility?

Hi,

I hace the next question:

Should the incidences of continuous improvement, Spikes and delivery be estimated? 

These incidents require effort, but I would like to know what is the best practice.

I appreciate your help!!!

Lina A.

1 answer

1 vote

Hi @Lina Marcela Almanza P_ ,

Thanks for reaching out to the community, and this is a good question but also really hard to answer as this blog post sums it up really well in the first line:

Estimation is hard. For software developers, it's among the most difficult — if not the most difficult — aspects of the job.

Best practices in estimation are to start off loose and tighten up the numbers as you figure out what works best, and how the team operates over a few sprints.  And realistically experimentation while watching the outcomes is going to be the best approach to find out what works best for defining your team's workload. 

Currently, If you are including the inflated estimates to compensate for spikes, or delays and are constantly coming in way under the deadline, the best approach is to reign in the estimates to a tighter estimate value so you can add in additional workload knowing that the team will make the deadline under those tighter estimates.  However in juxt position, if you are not including those options for some additional leeway but are constantly running into scope creep and delays in releases due to unforeseen blockers or underestimating, then the opposite is true and you will want to start giving the estimates a bit more breathing room.

Along with the blog post mentioned above, I also recommend checking out "How to choose the best methods of estimation for planning" as well.

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,867 views 37 49
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you