Should I create Jira stories when troubleshooting third-party software?

Igor Morduhaev September 19, 2022

We have our own custom software (CS) that utilizes a third-party API to start a third-party software X that does a certain function and reports back to our CS. There is a certain bug somewhere in that chain of responsibilities. 

To troubleshoot I decided to start software X manually without using CS at all. I found an additional bug in X itself. I had to call support since it's a third-party software, so they could troubleshoot.

What's the correct way to create stories/bugs/tasks for this situation when troubleshooting third-party software which might be related to our CS issue in retrospect? 

Should I create a task (or bug?) "Troubleshoot a bug in CS" and have linked issues, in which each link issue is a task (since I'm debugging third-party software)?

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

@Igor Morduhaev Welcome to the Atlassian community

I think it really depends on your team's processes.  I think it makes sense to follow the same process you use for CS bugs.  This way you can skip steps that do not relate but also ensure that your testing and validating processes are met to ensure the bug it taken care of.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events