Share an issue between two Projects Backlog

Moria March 13, 2021

Hi all,

I would like to submit an issue that should be handled by two different teams that work on different projects. Both teams should see the issue and update it accordingly in their board/sprint.

I have tried tweaking with custom fields layout and so, but so far I did not find any appropriate solution for it.

Can you please suggest a solution?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2021

You could copy the issue in each project and use a link between them.

If you work with only one issue for both board, the issue can only belong to one sprint at the time.

Moria March 13, 2021

What would you say about this procedure to share an issue between two projects:

1. Create an issue in project A
  2. Clone issue
  3. Move the cloned issue to project B
  4. Link "cloned" Issue > relates to > project A
  5. Link "original" Issue > relates to > project B

Thank you :)

Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2021

Yes perfect, i will just do the 4 steps you don't need the fifth step, because you just need to link the issue one time.

Moria March 14, 2021

Yes! Thank you friend :)

0 votes
Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2021

An issue will only exist in one project.

However, the boards and backlogs teams look at are built from filter queries which can span projects so you can show a single issue in multiple backlogs. (You can't however, have a single issue in two active sprints.)

A typical board is built from a filter like: 

project = ABC ORDER BY Rank ASC

This filter can be changed by accessing the board settings (using the ... menu on the top right of the board and changing the filter)

There are many ways to adjust the filter to include your issue. One simple approach would be for you to label the issue with the teams you wish to see the issue and then change the filter for each team's board to

project = <project key> OR Labels in (<TEAM_NAME>) ORDER BY Rank ASC

The above query will include ALL issues that are in whatever project the team usually works on AND any issues that are labelled with the team's name even if from a different project.

Moria March 14, 2021

Thank you for the explanation - but this option requires modifying the filter on both sides and I was looking for a simple follow solution ;)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events