Setting tickets to done, but not reflected as done

Bianca Hildebrand January 28, 2021

For one of my projects, I changed the workflow to add additional statuses and added additional columns, since then all tickets set to done in the sprint aren't resolving, please can someone help me fix this?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

When using Scrum board issues will be considered done if they are in the right most column. Any issues in other columns are not consider complete regardless of the status is actually in the done category (green). Also, you should be setting the Resolution when you move an issue into a final done status.

Thank you Jack, my last column on the right is in the done category, is there anything else I can check for?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

Is this NG or Classic?

Its classic

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2021

Good so when you say they are not resolving what exactly do you mean? Are you trying to close the sprint and issue are moving to the next sprint or backlog, or are they not showing with strike through? If the later then it is because the Resolution is not set. Likely in the previous workflow the transition to the done status had a post function to set the Resolution but you didn’t add in the new workflow. If you are talking about the former then something else is going on because if issues are in the right most column would be considered complete when completing the sprint.

The issue is they're not showing the strike-through them and when I close the sprint those tickets keep rolling over, when they should move off the board.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2021

Then you are not setting the Resolution field as mentioned. Do you need assistance with understanding how?

Bianca Hildebrand February 2, 2021

Yes, I do please.

Bianca Hildebrand February 4, 2021

Hi @Jack Brickey I hope you are well. Please let me know if you are still able to assist me?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2021

Sorry Bianca, I have been occupied on many other fronts and had forgotten about your request.

there are a few ways to do this:

• use a Post function on your workflow on any transition to any done category (green) status. This is best of you have a set it and forget it need and you only want to use a single resolution value, e.g. Done.
  • Present a screen to the user to select the resolution value when transitioning an issue to any done category status. Again this is via the workflow transition.
  • use Automation to set the value after an issue transitions to a done category status. This is similar to the first (PF) option. Note: I prefer the PF over this method.

In all cases it is important to perform the reverse action when reopening an issue, i.e. clear the Resolution

In the first two you edit the workflow (project settings > workflows) and configure the unique transitions into the done category statuses. In the later you build a rule in project settings > automation.

now if you need further specific instructions please let me know and indicate which method fits your needs.

Bianca Hildebrand February 9, 2021

@Jack Brickey Thank you for the advice. Do you think my tickets might not be resolving because I have set to statuses to the done category? (Done + Invalid) 

Bianca Hildebrand February 15, 2021

@Jack Brickey  Hey, please let me know

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2021

can you provide an image of exactly what you are experiencing?

Bianca Hildebrand February 15, 2021

Sure, I am trying to get these tickets set to done, on the board, even though they are in the "done" column and status reflecting done or invalid, they are not closed and keep rolling over into new sprints.

Tickets view.JPG

On my workflow, I have two statuses in the done category, "done" and "invalid" is it possible those two statuses could be causing the issue? This is the workflow I have setup

Workflow.JPG

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

ok so yes I think the issue is this...

You have issues in the Done status but the Resolution is not set and you cannot set the resolution as they are non-editable in Done status. Is that correct?

if so then two options:

1. if only a handful of issues and you are ok with reopening the issues then move them from Done to some to do or in progress status. Now before you do this please ensure that you have the necessary solution in place to now set the resolution. That is, either the WF requires the user to select the resolution when moving to Done or there is a post function in the transition to Done that will set the Resolution.
  2. If you have a lot of these then you will want to use bulk edit. You will need to temporarily add a transition from Done back to itself and add a post function on that reentrant transition to set the Resolution to done. Then construct a JQL that finds all done but no resolution (project = xxx and status = done and resolution is empty). Then use bulk edit to transition all of these issues.

hope we are getting close. :-)

Bianca Hildebrand February 18, 2021

@Jack Brickey Would you be open to doing a hangouts or teams call and I can present my screen? I think we might get this issue resolved a lot quicker that way.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Hi Bianca, I don’t generally do this but I concur it might be best at this point. I have some free time between 9am-11am today EST we could use Teams if you want to share your contact, which we should subsequently remove from here.

Bianca Hildebrand February 18, 2021

@Jack Brickey  Thank you so much. I'm in South Africa, if you can send me an invite then my calendar will convert it to local time and then I'll work around that and hop on the call. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

sent and edited your post...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

it doesn't appear to be working? I can't seem to invite you. i'm going to try Zoom.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events