Set resolution to complete when ticket is Done (in next gen board)

Waynn_Lue January 8, 2019

I've read a bunch of threads where people say to set the post function but I don't actually see where to edit that. Is there a template that just automatically sets Done to resolved, and any transitions out of Done back to unresolved? The old Jira automatically did this.

11 answers

3 votes
Crystal Newmon June 18, 2019

I read this on another thread about this issue. It works!!! Sucks I have to do it manually for all 88 issues, but I'll do it if it means they'll disappear in 14 days. 

Claire Coupland Feb 15, 2019

Hi,

we have moved the DONE column to the very right on the board. The resolution of the existing DONE tasks are still showing as UNRESOLVED.

However, if I change the status of the DONE task to testing and then back to done the resolution updates :) The little TICK even appears!

Johanna
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 8, 2019

Thanks for this solution, I'm doing the same now.  got 62 tickets to get through...

3 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

Hi Waynn,

I suggest to read this document: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Everything-you-want-to-know-about-next-gen-projects-in-Jira/ba-p/894773

more specifically about rules:

How do I add a new status to my workflow?

You can add a new status directly on your board. Simply add a new column, and drag and drop it into the spot you want. Next-gen projects support neat, linear workflows at the moment. More workflow configuration is coming soon.

What are rules?

Rules replace advanced workflow configuration operations like post functions, validations, conditions. They are much easier to set up and edit, if you need.

Currently, there are two rules available to next-gen software projects:

• Automatically change an issue's assignee
  • Automatically update an issue field

To try out a rule:

1. On your board, click the more icon (•••) > Manage rules.
  2. Click Add rule.
  3. Choose the rule you want to add from the list, then click Select.
  4. Fill out the required information to set up your rule, and click Add.
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

BTW, I just tried to set up this rule, and the fields I'm allowed to change include start date, resolution and priority (but not resolution):

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 5.39.00 PM.png

Waynn_Lue January 8, 2019

Oh, that's exactly my problem! So I found rules, but "Resolution" isn't one of the options so I can't do that. Any other ideas? :)

Like Mauricio GALVEZ likes this
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2019

Does it have to be a next-gen project? Or can it be a regular Jira project?

Marc Devens
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 29, 2019

I'm running into this same problem. From the screenshot, issues 16 and 1 were imported from another project with an existing resolution of Done, so they display a check mark.

FD_board_-_Agile_board_-_Jira.png

My "Test" issue is in the same column, but I can't figure out how to resolve it and get that check mark. 

Kevin R_ Raney February 11, 2019

"Resolution" is only set when the card is moved to the "last" column. To make this more usable it would be nice to specify the resolution when configuring the column. In my case there is no way to mark cards as resolved-done and also track resolved-cancelled.

Like # people like this
Andrea Della Corte
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 2, 2019

+1

Like Ovey Yeung likes this
Carl Sanders
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 25, 2019

+1

Like # people like this
Steven Ranney March 25, 2019

+1

Like # people like this
Bethany Holt April 2, 2019

+1

Grayson Bishop May 2, 2019

'+1

Ovey Yeung May 28, 2019

+1

Simon Yun
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 11, 2019

+1

Could you give any indication of whether this is on your roadmap? I do like some of the features (Roadmap) and simplicity of a next-gen project, but I really want to be able to indicate formally the type of resolution on an issue.

Macha June 30, 2019

+1

Mauricio GALVEZ
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2019

+ 1

This is being a issue for us

Erica Day
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 30, 2019

You can do this in Next Gen projects. Add your own field called 'Resolution' to the Issue Types in the Project Settings. Make it a dropdown with the values you want (say Done, Cannot Repro, etc.)

Then when you add a rule to the board, Resolution will be one of the options.

I set my rule so that resolution is set to 'done' automatically and then if it's actually not done I have to manually open the issue and change it to another resolution. Not 100% ideal but at least I can keep a record of issues that are not actually 'done'.

Like melissa likes this
Victor Ripplinger October 28, 2019

+1

Creating a custom "Resolution" field doesn't allow to edit Jira's real built-in Resolution field, the one that determines whether a tick is shown - the one that is meant when typing "Resolution=" in a JQL query.

Jared Casner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 14, 2020

They have taken away the ability to create a custom Resolution field. 

This name is reserved by Jira. Try another name.

Hopefully, this is an indication that the Resolution field is coming soon to next-gen projects.

In the meantime, we're using a custom field to track our own resolution statuses. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Eliad Cohen January 26, 2021

+1

0 votes
Karan Talati March 6, 2020

Our solution has been to switch to linear.app

0 votes
monica_thirddoormedia_com March 6, 2020

Does anyone have this solution of moving tasks to the last column work on some projects but not on others?

0 votes
Van Nguyen Hong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 13, 2020

+1

0 votes
mikal.sande
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 7, 2020

+1

0 votes
Ralphette English January 3, 2020

+1

0 votes
Arilson Barcelos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 6, 2019

+1

0 votes
Karan Talati September 3, 2019

+1

0 votes
Felix Lorenz April 4, 2019

+1

Suggest an answer