Set "Story Points" on Create Issue with Jira Automation

Sarah Baker May 19, 2021

We have a few recurring tasks that we'd like to complete each Sprint, and it'd be great to assign Story Points automatically. I've found the options within automation, but I get an error when the rule runs - can anyone help?

Here is the rule:

rule summary.PNG

Here is the Story Points section of the rule:

set value.PNG

Here is the created issue:

issue created.PNG

Here is the error from the automation audit log:

error.PNG

Here is the field configuration from the project:

field configuration.PNG

2 answers

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

Hello @Sarah Baker 

Are you working with issues in a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

In working with a Company Managed project, I find I get that error when the Story Points field is not included in the Create Issue screen in the screen scheme for the project. If I add the Story Points field to the Create Issue screen, then the field is set properly and I don't get an error.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2021

Hi @Sarah Baker 

Yes, and...to what Trudy suggests: the Story Points field is used for Company-Managed projects.  For a Team-Managed project, please use the Story Point Estimate field.

Best regards,

Bill

Sarah Baker June 3, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill thank you so much for your suggestion. Sadly, the 'story points' field is already available on the 'create issue' screen as per below:

story points on create.PNG

@Bill Sheboy (and Trudy), to confirm, this is a Company Managed Project, so Story Points is the required field (and not Story Point Estimate) - but thanks for the pointer!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2021

Hi @Sarah Baker 

Just a hunch here: during your task create in the rule, are you using the field drop-down to set field values *and* using the More Options with JSON, as that is what your image appears to show.

If you are not using the More Options, please clear that out (setting it back to the default), collapse the More Options section, and then try it again.

__Bill

Sarah Baker June 7, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

I am using 'more options', but not for story points - the additional fields box has been used to add the newly created issue to the sprint that's just been created and triggered the rule:

sprint created.PNG

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

Hi Sarah,

I'm actually getting the same error.  You may want to contact the atlassian support team.  If you have multiple stories/tasks you will have to create multiple automation rules which is going to be painful.  

I recommend using the csv import instead where you can add the summary of the tasks, description, type, story points and the corresponding sprint #. 

Sarah Baker June 3, 2021

Hi @Fabian Lim - thankfully we don't have too many recurring tasks, so I'll only need to set up three or four rules, I should think, but I'll certainly check out these links as you never know when something like this might come in handy!

Suggest an answer