Set parent field in Automation Server Lite

Chau Nguyen July 6, 2020

Hi,

I am using Jira Automation Server Lite and would like to ask how to update parent field on change events of sub-tasks. Could someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

Chau

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2020

Hi Chau - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Take a look at this article and see if it helps get you to where you need to be:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation-use-cases

Chau Nguyen July 13, 2020

Hi @John Funk , 

Thanks for the link you shared. I googled this page but my problem might be the version I am using to automate my problem is Server Lite, which limited me to follow the guide.

Regards

Chau

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2020

Here is the link to compare Pro and Lite:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/getting-the-right-version-993924597.html

The Related Issues condition is indeed not available for Lite. 

It doesn't look like you would be able to do a Branch either. 

Might be time for an upgrade.  :-)

Chau Nguyen July 14, 2020

You are correct. Let me ask my boss to pay more! :)

Thanks, in anyway.

Chau

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2020

Hi @Chau Nguyen  -- Welcome to the Atlassian community!

What help do you need, and what have you tried so far?  Please consider posting the image of your rule so the community can help.

An generic outline of what you are describing would be:

• Trigger: whatever specific thing you want.  For example, change of a specific field.
  • Condition: issue type is sub-task
  • Branch: for parent issue
    • Action: edit some field based upon sub-task (trigger issue)

Note the nesting: to perform action on the parent it must be inside of the branch.

Best regards,

Bill

Chau Nguyen July 13, 2020

Hi @William Sheboy

Thanks very much for your response. 

Your guide is helpful but I suspect the version of Jira Automation Server Lite  which I installed on my server doesn't support and kind of "For Parent" component?

Anyway, I would like to describe my problem is: to recalculate Epic's story points when story is moved to Done.

image.png

Regards

Chau

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2020

Hi Chau,

That is unfortunate...  Is the Lookup Action (with JQL) available?  If so, you could get to the parent by that path, matching to the issue's epic link.

Best regards,

Bill

Chau Nguyen July 14, 2020

I'll try with your suggestion. 

Thanks and regards,

Chau

Suggest an answer