Set automation rule to change issue type

Support IVèS April 25, 2024

Hello !

In my company, we would like to set up an automation rule to edit issue type.

Let's say we have 2 projects : "SUPPORT" (service management) & "DEV" (team-managed software).

Someone creates an issue in the "SUPPORT" project, then, when ready, click on the "Excalate Issue" to create a new issue in the "DEV" project.

The initial need was to have all "DEV" issues inside the "jira/servicedesk/projects/SUPP/escalations" view.

As we cannot reach the goal, we are looking to use another method.

We are now OK to have only "SUPP" issue inside this view. But to do so, we need to edit escalated issue type to the one configured to show on the escalations view.

When working with Automation, we are doing :

WHEN: Issue linked (Types: Developer Escalations)

THEN: Edit issue fields (Advanced)

{"destinationIssue": {"fields": {"issuetype": {"id":the_new_issue_type_id}}}}

But this is not work as expected.

What is the right way to edit the issueType of the "SUPP" issue and not the "DEV" ticket?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2024

Hi @Support IVèS 

I respectfully suggest not changing an issue's type in an automation rule.

When an issue type changes, many things need to be checked / updated, often leading to prompts to the person to guide the change.  This is why Jira has a specific app function in the UX for this: Move.  An automation rule cannot stop processing to ask the person questions dynamically, based on data found or missing, to guide the issue type change.

As an alternative, consider cloning the issue to a new type, and then marking the original issue as abandoned with a custom field indicator.  (Some users will delete the issue rather than abandoning it, but I would recommend against that: in general, there is no built-in "undo" for deletes Jira Cloud when a mistake is discovered.)

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events