Set a field value in a project when a field in a different project is updated

Soporte Atl August 26, 2022

Hi,

I'm trying to do this:

1. There is an issue in a Service Management project (JSM) linked to a development task in a Software project (JS).
  2. When a developer sets a value for the field original estimate in the JS task, an automation updates the field original estimate in the JSM issue.

(The idea is informing the customer of that time in the JSM project, but this part I know how to do it).

Could anybody please point me in the right direction regarding how to implement that?

I've started configuring a global automation rule but don't know if I need to use advanced field editing using JSON or there is a simpler way.

Any idea will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

M

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi @Soporte Atl 

If the issues have a physical link between them, you can use a Related Issues Branch in the automation rule to action the linked issue. You can select the specific link type you wish to action, and can then add in any conditions under this branch if you don't want to update all of the linked issues of that link type.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Soporte Atl August 28, 2022

Thanks a lot, @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_

I will try that approach.

Best regards,

M

Like # people like this
Soporte Atl November 25, 2022

Hi,

To sum up this issue, I ended up doing what @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ suggested and it worked fine:

1. Used a branch rule / related issues condition (for all linked issues).
  2. Set actions to copy the values I needed from the original project to the destination project.

Things to consider (just in case thery're helpful to newbies like me):

• I had some problems with the information transfer caused by fields that had the same name in both projects. One of the project is company-managed and the other is team-managed so, although in theory the fields are different (one a custom field and the other a project-specific field) I think there might be some type of internal clashing. Anyways I solved it by changing the field names.
  • This type of automations that involve different projects must be set as global automations. Depending on your instance characteristics you can have a limit to how many monthly actions can those global automations perform, so keep it in mind.
  • I'm also having some trouble with automations in the destination project that make use of the data received, as the former take the initial values of those fields instead of the updated ones. I think that dividing the automations involved (cascading) will work as a workaround, but I'm also trying to find a more elegant solution.

Thanks again to Callum and Pramodh.

Best regards,

M

2 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi @Soporte Atl 

Extensions for JSM is the right Add-on to implement it

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212161/extension-for-jira-service-management?tab=overview

[ Display additional data on the Request Details View, such as SLA metrics, request’s attachments, assignee details, linked issues, and values from any fields you need ]

Thanks,
Pramodh

Soporte Atl August 28, 2022

Thank you very much, @Pramodh M

Regards,

M

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL