Sending email from Jira support task to an external email

Miroslav Sochor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 28, 2024

Hello,

I know this is a quite common topic but still, is there any native way to send an email from open support task in Jira to external email address, i.e. Dell support, abuse contact, etc. and recieve the answer back to track it with the ticket? Is there also possibility to create email templates with variables?

I found the plugin called "Email this issue"  - do you know any alternative you are happy with?

Thank you so much for your advice.

2 answers

1 vote
Sushant Verma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2024

Hi @Miroslav Sochor 

Welcome to the community!

There are several ways to send emails from Jira and track them with the ticket. While "Email this issue" is a popular plugin for this purpose, there are alternative methods as well:

1. Jira Automation: Jira's built-in automation features allow you to create rules that can trigger actions, such as sending emails, based on certain events or conditions. You can configure automation rules to send emails to external email addresses and track the communication within the ticket.

2. Custom Scripting: If you have ScriptRunner or another scripting plugin installed in Jira, you can write custom scripts to send emails and handle the communication with external parties. This gives you more flexibility in terms of customization and automation.

3. Integration with External Email Service: You can integrate Jira with external email services like SendGrid, Amazon SES, or SMTP servers. This allows you to send emails from Jira using your preferred email service provider and track the communication within the ticket.

4. Jira Service Management (formerly Jira Service Desk): If you're using Jira Service Management, you can set up email notifications and communication channels for customers. This includes email notifications for request updates, as well as the ability for customers to respond to emails and have their responses tracked within the ticket.

Regarding email templates with variables, some plugins like "Email this issue" offer this functionality, allowing you to create customizable email templates with placeholders for variables. However, if you're using Jira's built-in features or custom scripting, you may need to handle email templating programmatically within your scripts or automation rules.

Ultimately, the choice of method depends on your specific requirements, existing infrastructure.

Regards,
Sushant Verma

0 votes
Anna Hryhoruk _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2024

Hello @Miroslav Sochor ,

Maybe you can consider Power Scripts app, this one can help with different automation tasks.  It is a scripting app that uses SIL language, and there is a function called sendEmail . You can write a script and trigger it via for example, post function or listener. Adding some documentation pages here: Mail Configuration, SIL mail ; Also it is possible to use Email Templates, as you can see here . 

In addition, you can use it as a tool to process incoming emails: Mail Handler , Mail Handler Routines , Replicate the native Jira email handler

I hope it will be enough to investigate this topic. But if you face any difficulties or additional questions related to your use case, please feel free to submit a support request here.

Best regards,
Anna

Suggest an answer