Send notifications when due date is occuring

Jacopo Salomone October 1, 2021

Hello everyone,

I searched for this issue on the community but I seem to have a particular need about this ticket field.

I need to send a notification when due date is occurring for a ticket assigned to me.

Is it possible without using some backend code?

Thank you in advance

6 answers

1 accepted

17 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2021

And to add to what the Airbus Driver said,

You can also accomplish that by using Jira automation:

• Go to project settings > Automation
  • Create new rules
  • Trigger: Schedule
  • Choose e.g. to send it one time a working day, at a specific time
  • Click "Run a JQL search and execute actions for each issue in the query."
    • Write your JQL "duedate <= now()"
    • Validate your query to see that it provides results
  • Add new action "Send email"
    • Compose your email and use smart value to enhance it
    • Choose the recipients (assignee/reporter etc)

Test it before of sending actual emails to people. Hope that helps you.

Adam Pritchard September 22, 2023

This is a great start for setting up the automation. I have used it to notify people of due dates less than 2 days coming.

But how can I get a list of the upcoming tasks with due dates, in the actual email? 

Currently the emails come through blank

Like nohowbut likes this
Anthony Thamel October 20, 2023

Hello, how can I make the email notification go 2 days before the due date?

what would be the JQL? Thanks

Marie Kaufman November 20, 2023

Adam - if you create a filter and then subscribe to it, it shows the issues.

Anthony - I actually show anything due in the next 5 days (or overdue) - filter:

assignee = currentUser() AND resolution is EMPTY AND duedate <= 5d

Subscription to filter is a daily email at 7:00am with the list.

Like Peti likes this
10 votes
Airbus Driver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2021

This is possible by using JQL and a subscription filter.

1. Navigate to Filters -> Advanced issue search

2. Use the following JQL search clause (if the due date is due in 1 day);

assignee = currentUser() AND resolution is EMPTY AND duedate = 1d

3. Click 'Save as' to save the filter

4. On the same page, click on 'Details' right next to 'Save as' and click on 'New subscription' and then configure how often you want the notification to be sent to you.

Martin Flury June 22, 2022

Got the same request from users.

Good solution (thumb up)

With the subscription to a JQL we can work.

Rumyana Simeonova July 20, 2022

What if I want to send out the e-mail notification 1 day before the due date? What schedule can you use for that? 

Like # people like this
Fatima Khan October 24, 2023

em having same question

Sang Truong Tan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 24, 2023

Hello @Airbus Driver

I sincerely appreciate your indication. It works out of the box.

Paula Pinto Zambrano
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 11, 2024

I have the same question! Need to send the email one day before due date. For the same day due data i have the code: duedate >=startOfDay() and duedate <=endOfDay() but I keep getting errors for the due date 1 day earlier ( try different options). Anyone could support me with this?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2024

Hi @Paula Pinto Zambrano ,

your JQL duedate >=startOfDay() and duedate <=endOfDay() will result in issues with the due date of today not tomorrow which is I think what you want. Remember that startofday is midnight and end of day is 11:59 PM. So if you are looking for issues that are due tomorrow try the following.

duedate > endOfDay() and duedate < startofday(1)

6 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2021

Personally I like to create a dashboard that includes my “due soon” issues. I check my dashboard each morning. 

0 votes
Jonathan Smith November 16, 2023

This is now a customizable template in project settings, automations, templates. 

Template customizations

• Adjust when to send (daily at XX:XX AM)
  • Notify user X amount of days before due date
  • Can customize the outbound email

aaaa.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2023

Yes those are great options. One thing to keep in mind, though, is the consumption of automation given the recent quantity restrictions.

As an admin and consultant to other companies, I am now looking for ways to conserve automation, and only use it when other suitable options don't exist.

Jonathan Smith January 2, 2024

@Jack Brickey Good call. We are using automations lightly and are still hitting 900+ runs a month... I don't understand why the limits are set so low.

Even if we upgraded, we still have power users who's runs would be greater than 100.

0 votes
Dave Potter May 3, 2023

I would love to follow the first answer. Unfortunately a "project settings" button does not exist in my set up.  Is it something that only the board manager has?

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

You are not a project admin (has the administer project permission), and that's why you don't see it. Ask from him to do anything you want or ask him to grant you the project admin role.

0 votes
Atlassian Learner June 20, 2022

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ , @Jack Brickey 

Can you please help here we have an automations for Leavers forms. for these the automation will create issues to different teams to deactivate the the accounts of the the leaver and linked to the main leaver form and also notification emails are sent on the same for teams. the current process triggered on the creation of the ticket.

But now, we want to update rule based on the "Execution date" the linked issues and notifications are to be sent only on this date.

I tried with two different automations 

trigger : Issues created

Condition JQL =  execution day is now or the past

Action = issues created and linked to current issues and notification are also sent.

these working as expected as the current automation. But we need to creat autromation if the Exception date is  greater than to day.

we need to create the linked issues and send notifications on the day of excecution day only.

Will it will have any suggested workaround.

Thanks.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2022

Ritu,

I suggest you post a new question 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders