Send excel file when ticket is created.

G Sunil Kumar May 25, 2021

Hello,

Is it possible to send an excel file with all the custom fields data as an email to a user.

Example:- 

if a jira ticket is created an email should be sent to me with an attachment of an excel sheet with all custom field name and its data.

Regards,

Sunil

2 answers

0 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 27, 2021

@G Sunil Kumar 

As Ravi Mentioned, you can use a dedicated solution to automatically generate and email (or attach, save to local filesystem) a native Excel file from Jira. 

The combination of Better Excel Exporter and Better Excel Automation for Jira provides a no-code option for this, as the app adds new actions to Automation for Jira, which includes "Send Excel". 

Watch this short tutorial that shows how you can make it work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdDAoCTdJNc&t=32s

(Please note that Better Excel Automation for Jira is free, while Better Excel Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing both apps.)

Jordan Hauser January 9, 2023

Just looked into these suggestions, the 'Better Excel Automation for Jira' is indeed free, but it has dependencies from the 'Better Excel Exporter' which as you said is not free, which makes the first one actually not a free option

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2021

Hi @G Sunil Kumar 

If you ok with csv instead of Excel then yes possible to do that, write a scripted post function on create. You will also find examples to send mail here http://library.adaptavist.com/

csv is very easy to generate but if you really want to generate Excel (I am sure you have good reasons for that) then I highly recommend using Better Excel plugin which I have used in the past, it has REST end point if I remember correctly to generate the file and it integrates well with ScriptRunner. You will find examples in their documentation as well.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

G Sunil Kumar May 25, 2021

Hi @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ ,

Can you provide details on how I can generate CSV of the ticket details.

Regards,

Sunil

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2021

Hi Sunil,

It is very simple to generate a simple csv. In Groovy you have methods to create a file on disk and write on it.

File file = new File(/tmp/tmp.csv)

file.write("name,age,number")

In this case it is just one line but you can build your csv with multiple lines as well.

Ravi

Suggest an answer