Send Admin Request through slack

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Is there away to take the admin request and pipe them through slack? I am not sure if there is an API for this or not but I know we get an admin notification when someone asks for a new app or request a new product or access. 

My security team asked if we could make those come in via slack.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2022

Hi @Aaron Geister ,

Some notifications do go into Slack! From the integration documentation :

• Invite a Slack user, or request access on their behalf – If you add a Jira link to a Slack channel where user/s don’t have access to Jira, the app will prompt you to invite them directly (if you are able to) or send a request to an admin to give them access. Admins can review these requests in Atlassian Administration or directly in Slack.

• Request access for yourself - If a Slack user receives a Jira link but doesn’t have access to Jira, the app will allow them to request access to Jira. Admins can review these requests in Atlassian Administration or directly in Slack.

As a site admin, you'll get a notification in Slack from the Jira app (assuming you've connected your Slack account to Jira using the /jira login command in Slack) that looks like this:

image.png

Was there a different type of notification you were wondering about receiving?

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Team

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2022

For clarity - I see that you've mentioned app requests separately from access requests. Access requests are there already, but I'll give our product team a shout about the app requests.

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

My security team wants to see all the app request come into slack that our admins get. Just for transparency. 

I have noticed the access request come through slack as I do use the slack integration for Jira but I never seen the app add-on come through except through email. 

Is there away we could pipe only admin request to a slack channel? 

Like Clark Everson likes this
0 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2022
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2022

@Clark Everson Jira cloud there is an admin request  for access which routes add-ons and access request to admins. This what I am talking about in the admin user and groups area. Not talking about JSM. 

I was looking for an API or another way to take those notifications for admins (Global, & Site Admin) and route them notifications to slack.  This was for transparency with security team. 

I am fully aware of Halp ( Atlassian Assist) and we have implemented that at Markforged along with many JSM projects. 

Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2022

@Aaron Geister  so you are referring to admin.atlassian.com and atlassian access more so than Jira or Confluence itself? 

This page correct: https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/approve-or-deny-product-access-requests/

If so there is an API but it is pretty limited: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/about/

They even write you would need to do some development: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/user-provisioning/about/

I shared this out as well with some other community leaders in case I missed anything

Like Aaron Geister likes this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2022

That is what I was looking for!

I am not sure why I couldn't find it I was in API page half day looking around. 

I was multitasking so that could be why I missed it. Thanks much. 

Like Clark Everson likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events