Select by JQL only from Company-managed software

Ricard Renalias June 3, 2021

Hello,

in my company we use the two software JIRA project types:

• Company-managed software (Classic projects): For most of projects that require to follow business investment.
  • Team-managed software (Next-Gen projects): For all other cases.

As Team-managed software are created by anyone in the organization, I need to find a way to get data only from "Company-managed software" projects.

ProjectTypes.png

It is very important for me specially when I import data to EazyBI as I want to avoid the noise from the "team-managed projects" (custom fields, workflows, states...)

Is there any avaliable field that I can use from JQL to select only issues/data from "Company-managed software" projects?

I have seen that there is a field called ProjectType but in this case I cannot choose between Company-managed or Team-managed projects as it is the project type manually selected in the project properties page.

JQLProjectType.png

Thanks in advance,

Ricard

4 answers

0 votes
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2021

Hi @Ricard Renalias,

From an eazyBI perspective, I can agree with using Project Category - this functionality is available already to select and import issues from a particular category of projects. JQL would also work, but as I see, there is no such JQL filter for now.

I added the grouping by project type to ideas in the eazyBI backlog.

I would also like to add that for next-gen projects, eazyBI also creates a secondary hierarchy By Name that groups values in dimensions first by name and then by project-specific values, thus allowing to analyze all issues with the same value across all next-gen and standard projects. See more https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/data-import/jira-issues-import/jira-core-measures-and-dimensions.

Lauma / support@eazybi.com

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2021

Hi @Ricard Renalias 

In addition to the suggested improvements to make this information searchable out-of-the-box for Jira, there are marketplace addons which allow searching the Project's Entity Properties.  One of those properties is Style, and it indicates "classic" or "next-gen".

If you do not want to purchase an addon, a couple of work-arounds are to:

1. Manually call the REST API function for projects, and use a regular expression to parse out the ones you want, "classic", put those project ids into a CSV list.  Then use that to filter your data query.
  2. Automate #1 above with an automation rule, having it send you the CSV list of projects on your desired cadence.  I did this a few months ago as an experiment and it worked well.

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2021

Not that I'm aware. I came across a similar question here where you can find additional insights on that. An open suggestion is linked to the question (JRACLOUD-71674) that you can vote on and add yourself as a watcher to receive notification from now on.

Thank you Ivan

As the request is related to the JQL instead of the visibility of the project type I have also add a new suggestion to JIRA (JRACLOUD-76763

Like # people like this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2021

Hi Richard - maybe you could use the project category? 

Otherwise, I think you will need to open a support ticket with Atlassian.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Thank you John.

I can use project category, but this field is useful for distiguish the organization project type (software, it...) and It would be great if I do not need to create new project types to do so.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

Agreed

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events