Seeing field in the Story despite it is not associated to the Story issue type screen. Why, and how?

Svetlin March 1, 2024

Greetings Atlassian Community,

I have to add the following required fields to a Jira project:
- Parent
- Team
- Type of work

The Jira Community has always been very helpful for me and I could always find the right resources at the right time, just like now.

I see proper guidance on how to do this here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-make-field-Mandatory/qaq-p/1854806

And it is even described extensively in the Atlassian documentation here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/change-a-field-configuration/

However, what I notice on my instance is that when I try to create a ticket of the type "Story", the field "Parent" is also seen there, despite being only configured to be in the following issue screens which are all for the issue type "Epic":

{PROJECT_KEY}: Epic Create Issue Screen
{PROJECT_KEY}: Epic Default Issue Screen
{PROJECT_KEY}: Epic Edit Issue Screen

Any idea why is that so? 

Further to the above, I also cannot add the "Team" field to the screen I want to as required, simply because there is no "Required" button on the right screen side, just like there is one for the rest of the fields that are not locked.

The one without the buttons:
download.png
Here is another one that has the buttons on the right:
сам.png

However, looking around, I noticed that there's the following way to add a field to a screen:

Under: 

1. Issues

View Field Configuration

Actions -> Screens
  2. Then you see: 
    Search Jira admin 
    Associate field {FIELD_NAME} to screens

Do I assume correctly that. I first have to "Associate" the field I want to appear, to the right screens? Why if so, then, the field "Parent" also appears in the "Story" issue type where I do not see it associated? 

Thank you in advance! 

Best wishes,
Svetlin

1 answer

0 votes
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2024

Hi @Svetlin , thanks for your questions.

1) The 'Parent' field should indicate the parent issue. The fact that it appears in the Story makes sense to me because I would expect to find the issue key / link to the issue that is the Parent, normally an Epic. There is a configuration, depending on your cloud tier, where you can have an issue another level above an Epic, so this 'Parent field also accommodates that configuration. Here is an announcement that explains the reasons for this change - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/upcoming-changes-epic-link-replaced-with-parent/#Updates-to-automation

2) For the 'Team' field, please check this documentation - https://support.atlassian.com/atlassian-account/docs/using-atlassian-teams-in-jira-projects/ 

I hope this helps but if you have more questions, please give us your feedback.

Cheers

Svetlin March 1, 2024

Hi @Valerie Knapp , unfortunately, I could not add the "Team" field and the "Parent link" field as required. I managed to make a third one required though. Do you have any idea why could this be so? Is it possible because these two are system fields?

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2024

HI @Svetlin , thanks for your feedback.

I know it is a silly question but please can you confirm you have this permission for the Team field -

You can add the Team custom field to your projects in Jira products. You must have Browse users and groups permission in order to use the field

To clarify, your desired behaviour is to make these standard fields required? Sorry, I didn't understand this before. If you can't do it in the field configuration settings, it should be possible to use workflow validators as a workaround for this -

In the workflow, on the create transition, click on Validators

image.png

Then, you should be able to select the Validator, 'Field must not be empty during the transition' -

image.png

Then, after you click 'Add', you can specify which fields need to be entered and give a feedback / error message to display so that the end users are directed what to do

image.png

Please can you try this out and give me your feedback?

Cheers

Svetlin March 5, 2024

That sounds like a valid solution, I also read something similar and got recommended doing this, unfortunately I checked your response with some delay, though you were first to respond, thank you Val. I will now try and update you asap. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events