Search for a list of multiple issues in order to update in bulk

Vincent Cailleux August 22, 2022

Hello,

I have a list of issues with external IDs that I get from an excel sheet. The ID is reported into the Summary field of the issue on Jira.

Is there any way to copy/paste those external IDs in the jql request (500+) so that I have the list of the issues I want to update in bulk ? 

Thanks ! 

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2022

Hello @Vincent Cailleux 

Welcome to the community.

There is not Jira-native way to do what you want because your criteria for your query needs to look for multiple values in a text field. The syntax for that would be:

Summary ~"<first External ID>" or Summary~"<second External ID>" or Summary~"<third External ID>"

...and so on. You might be able to hack together a Powershell or bash script to create that string by looping through your list, but I think then with 500+ IDs the JQL statement would be too long. Do the IDs have something in common, like the first several characters? If so, then you could try wildcards to reduce the number of ORs in the JQL statement, thus

Summary~"123*" or Summary~"345*"

Vincent Cailleux August 22, 2022

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for your answer

That's what I was afraid of after multiple unsuccessful attemps ...

Guess I have no choice :/ 

Suggest an answer